Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 PM

Default JQo turned straight

This is my first shot at 15/30. Normally a 10/20 6-max player so I may be a tad aggressive (PF should have been a fold I think). No reads as I haven't mined much yet nor played long.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: JQo turned straight

PREFLOP: Yes you are right, you should fold. I usually will only open raise with QJo in the cutoff or button sometimes in the hijack also if the players behind me are tight. Occasionally I will Isolate someone with this hand when im on the button or the cutoff, but this depends on my read of my opponent and again on how loose and aggressive the remaining players are. In MP1, you should fold IMO.

FLOP: Checking and calling looks good to me, given the size of the pot, you must draw to your gutshot even though there is a flushdraw on the board.

TURN: Ok you turned the straight, but the third diamond hit...now what? Usually when I turn a strong hand and the flop aggressor is directly on my left, I would go for the checkraise, however since the 3rd diamond hit, your hand isnt that strong, usually I would bet the turn myself and call a raise(unless I had a read that my opponent was raising without the flush).

On this board however I think your check 3 betting strategy may actually be the best course of action since even though there is 3 diamonds on the board, I cant see how the preflop 3 bettor can have a flush or how the button who coldcalled 3 bets preflop can have the flush. Hands like QdJd, Jd9d, or 9d8d should not be there if these opponents are playing somewhat sane, so you should have the best hand here.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 PM

Yeah, QJo in the HJ is a raise. MP2 is borderline, MP1 is fold, IMO.

Agreed also that you likely have the best hand, so you might as well juice it. I wouldn't worry much if it is capped, but if capped, I would check/call 1B on the river. I would not like the board to pair on the river either.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 AM

AK and KK need to realize they didn't just "hit"
Old 12-08-2005, 02:06 AM

Preflop raise is incorrect.

Flop call is okay I guess since you are closing the betting.

Turn- Check-raise is okay but you have to think that it has a good chance of slowing down the preflop 3 better. The check-raise depends on the opponent; if he is aggressive go for it, consider betting it out. I think you are in the lead here almost always and the 3 bet is correct. It looks like you are against a big set and maybe AK.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 AM

At a table where I've been running well and having good control over people I like an OPEN raise that early with that hand. I don't like raising one limper ever. Go ahead and overlimp.

Flop is EZ of course, even with 3 outs the odds are there and a half.

The turn is a tough spot, I imagine you planned to checkraise but then when it was two back to you you didn't really like any of your options and just went with 3bet. It's fine but remember you could be drawing dead. Button coldcalled the 3, he didn't 3bet. Plus he's now raising the PF raiser on a AKT board so he's got a very large hand. Kind of looks like the same hand as you actually...
Old 12-08-2005, 06:21 AM

ya think Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .. ?

I would probably call the raise. If it got capped behind me I would have to seriously consider my position...