Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you temporarily left Party to play elsewhere due to the disconnect problems?
No 62 43.97%
Yes 79 56.03%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Chance of at least middle-class lifestyle in US

Assume you are born in the US. If you do the following things, what are your chances of a middle-class lifestyle?

1) Graduate High School
2) Don't get someone/yourself pregnant
3) Stay off drugs
Old 12-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Chance of at least middle-class lifestyle in US

It all depends how you define middle-class lifestyle. If you actually take the median family income, that is quite easy to attain under these three conditions. But most people on this board would not consider that to be "middle-class." I have heard people on this board describe making over 100K a year (perhaps 90th income percentile) as "middle-class," so I don't know what this really means in these parts.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 PM

Assuming no Vo-Tech in High School?

I'm glad you brought this up. I was thinking of a quote that I agree with last night. Can't think of who said it or the exact wording, but it was something like: "if you don't have anything beyond a high school diploma, then you shouldn't expect to live a middle class lifestyle." (See, I am not that liberal)

Depends on the creativity or charisma of the individual.

If you can do tattoos or juggle professionally, then you can be middle class.

If you can sell cars or wait tables at a fancy restaurant, then you can be middle class.

If you can only lift boxes or work at 7-11, then you better find a cheap apartment and some roommates.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 PM

I need a definition of middle class.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard people on this board describe making over 100K a year (perhaps 90th income percentile) as "middle-class," so I don't know what this really means in these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a somewhat unrelated note, I once read a survey that claimed something like 97% of Americans described themselves as middle-class.

So I'm of the opinion that American conceptions of what constitutes 'middle-class' are relatively meaningless, be they on 2+2 or elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 PM

This is very often based upon what class you are actually born into. A person born into the middle class will have more friends/family in positions to help them get jobs at a middle class wage.
If your talking about a person born into a lower class situation then you have to redefine #2 for me. Do you mean never get someone/yourself pregnant untill you reach a middle class lifestyle (my assumption), or do you mean never get preggers before you can afford it - ie having a child wouldn't nessecitate government sponsored programs/charity to meed basic needs and to provide some sort of savings.

Also as others have said, define middle class. As a general definition i would say someone who can afford to buy thier own home (down payment and mortgage) and have a separate savings plan for retirement would be middle class. A couple of distinctions- obviously certain areas this wouldn't work for- extrodinarily high property value like NY and LA and extrodinarily low ones- like high crime areas of Detroit wouldn't count. Here in cleveland- one of the lower cost of living cities in the US- the min for this for a single person is probably 30k per year, totally bare bones. SO i would say that 35k per year in Cl Oh counts as lower middle class. $17.50 an hour. About what a restaurant manager makes starting out- Or what you could probably get after a year or two in construction, or as a fulltime waiter at a place like Applebees.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It all depends how you define middle-class lifestyle. If you actually take the median family income, that is quite easy to attain under these three conditions. But most people on this board would not consider that to be "middle-class." I have heard people on this board describe making over 100K a year (perhaps 90th income percentile) as "middle-class," so I don't know what this really means in these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not 100K by any means. I'm talking live in a reasonably safe neighborhood, have a car that runs well, and not have to work 2 jobs to support it. Maybe 30th percentile right now.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

I screwed up the 3rd item, it should have been "Stay out of Jail".

Until someone can come up with a better word for middle class, I will use the term "at least slightly above the poverty level"?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM

All of the liberals are going to vote on low probabilities. They love to complain about hard hard life is and how broke they are.

Indy
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely not 100K by any means. I'm talking live in a reasonably safe neighborhood, have a car that runs well, and not have to work 2 jobs to support it. Maybe 30th percentile right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

30th percentile is probably like a family income of 30K a year. Is that really what you mean? If so it is not too hard to do as long as you have a high school education and have your head on straight. But that is pretty far from the stable "middle-class lifestyle" that is often associated with the American dream.