Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Offensive Screen Names

I find nits who go around looking for ways to force their petty little issues on everyone much more offensive than any screen name someone could come up with.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:48 PM

If a screen name bothers you, it can't hurt to send an e-mail to the site expressing this.

It is in a Poker site's best interest to create an atmosphere that offends the least number of reasonable players.

If a player's name or behavior is upsetting players and they quit the session or leave the site, it will be of interest to the poker site.

Since the site is their private property, they are entitled to make the final determination on what is offensive or not.

If a Poker Site support staff is staffed primarily by persons for whom English is not the native language, or whose social knowledge is different than mine, I don't see a problem with informing them about the potential offense of screen names.

For example, there are occasionally players with cryptic "license plate style" playernames which are euphemisims for sexual acts or various body parts. I can't imagine a support team catching that when they have 10k+ players on at a time.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm offended when people fart during my home game, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for me to play good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, if you're trying to pay bad poker...
Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 PM

we'll see how you feel when I change my screen name to "2plus2posterGunnyHighwayhasamonsterstickuphis ass"
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we'll see how you feel when I change my screen name to "2plus2posterGunnyHighwayhasamonsterstickuphis ass"

[/ QUOTE ]

feel free. the irony would be pretty humorous.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm offended when people fart during my home game, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for me to play good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, if you're trying to pay bad poker...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit, you beat me.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 PM

ok, youve actually made a good point.

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down and w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect them to do some pruning as well but I am not about to expend one speck of energy worrying about how someone else wants to present themselves.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down and w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should report you for having "Devil" in your name, that is very offensive to me.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should report you for having "Devil" in your name, that is very offensive to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your point is, "different people are offended by different things," no one disagrees with you. It is likely that site management here has deleted or modify some screennames. It appears "devil" meets their standards, though I think it within your rights to PM a moderator with your complaint.

The obvious solution is that the site owners are the final determinant of suitability. It is their property, and if they don't like the word "BRUIN," they are free to ask me to change my handle.

Private property rights on the Internet are expansive, and this is almost always good IMHO.

If a Poker site is offended by say...cow references at their site, I am more than willing to comply with their wishes. If I don't like their decisions, players can take play elsewhere or start their own poker site.