Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 150/300 hand

If I thought that that the villian was aggressive enough to bluff-raise the river, I would check/call. I don't think this hand is good enough often enough to warrant 2 big bets on the river.

lf
Old 11-27-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This villian has an AF of 1.0 in short handed games. He's not betting anything hero beats here. If BK checks and the villian bets, its a clear fold.

He might, however, call w/ a whiffed A-high not believing hero donked a pair. If BK is putting one bet in on this river, it needs to be as the bettor.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Even 1 AFs find it hard not to bet a checked river with just with ace high when the obvious draws miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make sense. Why would villian bet A hi on river when its not for value and a weaker hand wouldn't call? lil feller is right. If BK is putting one bet in on this river, it needs to be as the bettor.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet/fold the river like most other people since ace-high is checking behind but probably calling a bet... why didn't you play the flop faster, though? i'm really curious, since i usually go apeshit on flops like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against anyone that knows what they are doing HU...they are not folding with that kind of flop action from u...at best if u go crazy on this flop, a decent player might give credit for a Ten. But thats against a good player...in which case he will either go crazy with u (figuring he is either a favorite or coinflop on the flop), pop the turn or let u take a stabs at it on the later streets, calling u down.

Anyway against this player, as long as hes not holding a pair...this board connects with a lot of his holdings. In which case u are going to have to fire on every street if he calls your CR and calls u down. If he doesnt pop u later in the hand, its liekly he either has high face cards or a small pp (with face cards being more likely u have to then judge if he folds to your river bet...which at that point, UI is the only way u are going to win.)

I have no idea if this post is coherent or not, but on this flop, at best its a coinflip...so it doesnt really matter how many bets go in, what does matter is if it effects this players ability to laydown overs, which u become a dog to on the turn. If the control factor will get this guy to laydown on the later streets go for it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:49 PM

i am probably alone here but have to say check-fold. I doubt he is folding ace-high which is worst hand I couple put him on (maybe KQ). in the long-run, i think this does much better than bet-fold.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand why you bet the turn. i would alternate between c/c and c/r on that card. can you explain why you donked it with a showdownable hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that drives me nuts. I want to show down, but at the same time when he checks behind on the turn with overs, I puke. Are we not correct to bet this turn given our holding? If he pops us, it sucks, but we have a great deal of outs to improve. I just hate giving a guy a free one here. Please tell me how/if my logic is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always checkraise the flop, but since he didnt i like to check call the turn. Hes prolly goona bet the turn and if he doesnt its prolly cause hes checking with ace high and we have an easy VB on river. If he bets the turn and we check call, we almost have more cards to reverse imply him than he has to beat us with AQ and KQ. Therefore since BK check called the flop I would check call check call and check fold if missed.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Please post this in mid stakes!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 PM

You have to bet here. If you check you give him the easiest value bet in the world which you then would be forced to call.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand why you bet the turn. i would alternate between c/c and c/r on that card. can you explain why you donked it with a showdownable hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that drives me nuts. I want to show down, but at the same time when he checks behind on the turn with overs, I puke. Are we not correct to bet this turn given our holding? If he pops us, it sucks, but we have a great deal of outs to improve. I just hate giving a guy a free one here. Please tell me how/if my logic is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always checkraise the flop, but since he didnt i like to check call the turn. Hes prolly goona bet the turn and if he doesnt its prolly cause hes checking with ace high and we have an easy VB on river. If he bets the turn and we check call, we almost have more cards to reverse imply him than he has to beat us with AQ and KQ. Therefore since BK check called the flop I would check call check call and check fold if missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with or understand this logic. Thats a scary board, even for an overpair, and hero isn't likely to get raised. If villian has overs, he probably isn't calling a river bet if he checks the turn, so hero loses potentially 2 bets.

I think leading the turn is the superior play, as it forces over/gutters to make a mistake calling when they think they have 10 outs and they actually have closer to 6 or 7.

If hero gets raised on the turn, its an easy c/f if we miss. Either way its 2 bets if we lose to a monster, and leading collects bets from over type hands.

lf
Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 PM

lil feller, i see your logic here, but i think c/r is better. i'd rather make overs with gutters pay 2 bets than 1 on the turn. it's just better IMO
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 AM

I like the turn donk ag. a predictable player because I hate to give free cards.

I also like a river bet. Mostly because you don't have to show your hand and you might actually fold a better hand against a player like this.