Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: 33 in blind war

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea about betting on the river to not give away your cards, and therefore information. Although I do think the bet is slightly -EV in the current hand, perhaps not giving away this information could be good. As a counter point though, shouldn't we check so that we can see his cards? If we are a better player, we will be able to use the information better than he can use the information about our cards. Furthermore we have position on him, so again, trading a look at each others hands has more benefit for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek about hiding this hand. To be clear I feel that the real risk of losing your money totally outweighs the showing cards issue.

It is better to muck both hands than see both hands for two reasons:

1. You only get to see one hand but five people get to see yours. It's hard to be smart enough to overcome those odds.

2. When Villain folds the river you already know everything you need to know about his hand. He made a big move with nothing. But you have a very interesting and enlightening hand to show.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. He has 86s and the board comes KT3

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for reminding us you might hit a set. The chance that he might not actually have his six outs because of a set or domination is very real.

I guess you really wanted KT2? If he bluffs the flop with 86 and checkfolds the turn that is 1 SB versus a chance to win 9 SB by hitting on the turn. Slightly +EV for him compared to checkfolding but no big deal. But if he fires a second or even third barrel then he loses heavily. Overall this case is not bad for the preflop call.

I could make a similar argument about case #2 but really I'm not sure you can get your flop fold here anyway.

Case #3 makes me wish I had reraised preflop. You might actually pull this off although it's far from a lock. Move one of the spots into the playing zone and he'll sweat a lot more.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. You only get to see one hand but five people get to see yours. It's hard to be smart enough to overcome those odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy eff...I cant believe I've never even thought of that. Seriously, i feel like the universe just opened up or something and a ray of light just smacked me in the forhead.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:16 PM

Wow, thanks for the great replies stellar. FWIW, I was indeed expecting him to c/r me when he checked. I also fully intended to 3-bet him. This move oop from an aggressive opponent is more often a chance to get a free card and when I bet he raises not wanting to show weakness. I checked the turn because I figured he was capable of a c/r bluff on the turn.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:27 PM

i don't understand why you didn't check the flop if you want a free card. When he checkraises the flop I think you should be less desirous of a free card because you are either way behind or significantly ahead (he's drawing to 6 outs). If you're way behind you're rarely getting that free card, you have a very weak draw, and you are only saving one small blind if you intend to showdown. If you're ahead you want him to keep bluffing.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy, easy turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, i feel like the universe just opened up or something and a ray of light just smacked me in the forhead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good, overaggressive player who raised preflop would rather see a K42 rainbow flop than have sex .

[/ QUOTE ]

UNREAL FUNNY [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM

This hand is much easier to play against a light steal-raiser if you re-raise preflop, rather than call.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Stellar, your point is interesting, but there's a problem with it.

1. Anytime you call with a small pair you figure to be either a slight favorite or a huge dog.

2. Since the odds are against the villain holding a PP, the odds are that you are a slight favorite preflop.

3. You would therefore theoretically show value against somebody who openraised any two, and continuation bet each street, simply by calling down.

4. However, let's face it, your preflop edge sucks. Whatever preflop edge you had might well be diminished by a villain who just checked unfavorable flops, but bet when he hit any piece of the board.

5. Therefore, I like 3-betting preflop because the hand gets much easier to play postflop. Your fold equity from raising the turn/river can't be underestimated.

6. Also, metagame blah blah.