Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Sebastian Bach - Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
I did like Love/Hate as well not sure if you would class them as hair rock

[/ QUOTE ]

I would classify them as "terrible." I had a girlfriend who liked that band. Drove me nuts to listen to them, after a while i just refused.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Well, yeah, if you hate GNR, Motley Crue, etc. then obviously you are going to be dissapointed by Skid Row. In fact, I'm surprised you liked the three songs you did.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, if you hate GNR, Motley Crue, etc. then obviously you are going to be dissapointed by Skid Row. In fact, I'm surprised you liked the three songs you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love GNR, hate Motley Crue, and like the three songs mentioned off the first Skid Row record and pretty much all of the 2nd except one cut which I can't remember the name of, since I haven't heard the album in 10 years, and hate the rest of Skid Row's catalog. It has nothing to do with the amount of hair the bands had.

Anyone remember the SNL with Skid Row? Kiefer Sutherland hosted. Skid Row was pretty good, but the episode was pretty bad. So bad that on the reruns, it goes from the opening monologue to a commercial, right to Skid Row's first tune.

This included a sketch w. Adam Sandler as Axl Rose singing a children's album. Bach and Rachel Bolan guested in the sketch and Bach did dueling ABC's with Sandler's Axl. It was pretty funny.

Skid Row did "Piece of Me," which is one of their tunes I'm not a fan of, and "Monkey Business," which I do like and came across well.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Would you class Warrior Soul as a hair band? as they were another band of that era I really liked. I did like some Tesla stuff as well.

I also have some White Lion somwhere in my collection one song in particular really liked cant remeber the name of the song but was very drummy.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you class Warrior Soul as a hair band? as they were another band of that era I really liked. I did like some Tesla stuff as well.

I also have some White Lion somwhere in my collection one song in particular really liked cant remeber the name of the song but was very drummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really remember Warrior Soul at all. I think I was starting to lose my taste for a lot of contemporary radio music at the time.

I was a Tesla fan myself. They had some good tunes.

The bands I thought of as "hair" bands were bands like Warrant, Poison, White Lion, Motley Crue, bands like that. Pop bands doing the pop tunes of the day - a lot of these bands were the "New Kids On The Block" of their time. I actually thought GNR rose above all that to make really good rock music for their time.

Skid Row I thought of as a hair band with a few good tunes until Slave to the Grind was released. I really liked that album and had high hopes for the band, but the third album was a major setback. I decided they just caught lightning in a bottle on "Slave," and had probably just been lucky.

I try not to judge bands or decide if I like them based on what genre other people put them into, although I'm guilty myself of labelling as it makes it easier to discuss some things with people. I never considered any of the above bands to be "metal" (except maybe Motley Crue's first album, and even then...) - metal was Slayer, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Metallica, earlier bands like King Diamond/Merciful Fate. It was always weird to me that people would decide they liked a certain kind of music and refuse to make distinctions otherwise.

I'm not really sure what my point is.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 PM

Awesome.

Skid Row was/is the one band from the hair band era I'd pay to see play.

Waste Time is a bad-assed song.

SB has some amazing vocal skills, I understand he was clasically trained, but that might just be a rumor.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM

Nice concert dude. Too bad you didn't get sweet cell phone pics of the metal mullitia.

Skid Row was the best of the big hair cheese metal bands. That's if you don't put Ratt in the category. Otherwise Ratt was the best.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM

He's doing better than their drummer:

Rob Affuso 15 years later
Old 11-14-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incredibly high energy level for the entire show

[/ QUOTE ]

that's good to hear, seems like everytime I see old SeaBass these days he looks totally assed out......first concert I ever went to: fifth grade, Giants Stadium, East Rutherford New Jersey, Bon Jovi the "homecoming show", Skid Row was the opening band.....I also saw Sebastian on broadway when he did the "Jeckyll and Hyde" thing.....it was pretty funny, everytime he went up to the high notes that most male singers sing operatically, he kind of screeched them a la "FINGERS TO THE BO-OO-ONE!"....
Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Yeah, he is classically trained and has been in three Broadway shows. Haven't seen the performances, though, so they very well might suck. He actually mentioned not drinking before the show (as though this were a rarity for him). I think it definitely helped his performance that he was sober and with band members that seemed to genuinely be friends of his. He was very good natured, high spirited, joking around, doing microphone tricks, etc. during the whole show. The rapport with the audience was incredible. He mentioned that he had played that venue several times before and I believe that also improved the general experience both for him and for us.

Also, I meant to mention in the OP but forgot and have now been reminded by the discussion: he spoke several times before songs, mostly about his support for our troops in Iraq and how we should 'get the job done' quickly and then bring the troops back home 'where they belong'. But his best little bit was when he said that he was working on a new album. Then he says 'I know, I've been saying that for SIX YEARS!' and makes a face like 'so sue me' and hold out his arms to the side as he shrugs. Then he goes 'But I WILL promise you this: my album will come out before Axl's album. I think he's going to title his Welcome to the Rest Home!' Awesome!