Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Bonehead question #2 for tonight (regarding optimal VP$IP in $3/6 B&M)

sup bros,
still at the paper, nearly 3000 words done (although i'm given a 10-15k spread).

Another question: it can be commonly asserted that expert players can profitably play 15-35% of their hands, tailored to optimal conditions, if you were to follow S&M/Miller et al's guidelines with some reshuffling according to players in the game etc.

I asserted in my dissertation that at a B&M $3/$6 limit on a typical friday night (assumption: 2 or less TAGs including me; 1 or 2 LAGs, 1 TP-P and the rest sLP-P or LP-P?) that an optimal VP$IP would be in the 22-27% range.

Can other people offer opinions to this? I know *it depends*, but i respect 2+2 posters and figure i should sound y'all out before putting an assertion in my paper.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 11-12-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Bonehead question #2 for tonight (regarding optimal VP$IP in $3/6 B&M)

I'm still looking for a player that is able to prove 35% VP$IP at an online $3/$6 game for an extended period of time - or better, over 10K hands..........

Trying to nail down just what the VP$IP should be for your given table misses the point that the "expert" player that you mention adapts to each particular personal hand, and the expected hand range of his opponents. Although writers often state that you can "loosen up" your play, it really isn't going to be to a specific VP$IP number.

If you are simply asking "can an expert player be a winner with a VP$IP as high as 27% at a table with made up of the players I listed?" then yes, probably, but that would not mean that the "expert" player was making the maximum from the game per hour with that %, and that they might make even more with a % lower than your listed 22%.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Bonehead question #2 for tonight (regarding optimal VP$IP in $3/6

good point, maybe i'd be better off asserting that a VP$IP of 66-75% is rarely, if ever, a correct strategy to maximise gains and lay off assumptions of what is an optimal rate.