Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Suicide...

First of all...hi everyone. I've been lurking here for awhile and i was thinking about something today and I'd like to hear other's opinions. Who knows maybe its not even that interesting in the end...

If someone you have no personal relationship with is going to die of causes other than natural, would you rather they were murdered or they committed suicide?

Please discuss...
Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Suicide...

Suicide, even if I'm very good friends with the person. Suicide is less bad than murder, I think.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Suicide, I guess. Let the man have his last few moments they way he wants.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 AM

Without answering your question, let me say this. With murder the grievers have someone to blame - or at least some direction to “vent”. With suicide, it is hard to not at least accept some of the cause (either through commission - something one might have said or omission - something one did not say.) And if one can get over that hurdle, one is still left with the feeling of helplessness (which I would think also accompanies the loss of a murder victim .)

To hmkpoker. I would guess your example would apply to one who was terminally ill for example. But, in most cases, I don’t think one is really themselves anyway. (Should we link the Athena thread here? - lol)

p.s. Not sure if the topic is interesting or not. It is a bit morbid (obviously it is literally speaking, but figuratively speaking, too) though.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:17 AM

The thought just popped into my head when I read the thread about the other forum's suicide case. I can't think of any reason to talk someone out of suicide if I don't know them personally. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a real reason suicide should be illegal, like murder is.

Thanks,
-J
Old 11-06-2005, 03:46 AM

"I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a real reason suicide should be illegal, like murder is. "

Yes there is. The Romans made suicide illegal to make it easier for the state to seize the victim's estate.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 AM

That's good...but it looks like a "because they could" not a "because they should"...

\unless my sarcasm detector is broken...
\\in that case i understand the cynicysm.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 AM

No sarcasm. I got the "fact" from the history channel. For what that's worth.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:04 AM

I don't know the answer. But I've personally been close to two families who's loved one committed suicide. This is hugely, hugely devestating. Everyone blames themselves and each other and it goes on for years. It's especially bad when the victim is a child. In this case, the parent sometimes goes insane and never gets over it.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:11 AM

My uncle committed suicide. The family never gets over it. But, we adapt and move on. The same as if someone was murdered. Only, with murder, it's a lot harder to forgive the perpetrator.