Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 AM

Default 77 call down?

This is the kind of situation where I don't know what I should do.

I'm pretty new to the table, maybe 10th-15th hand. I've raised like 3 times already, won every one. It's 5 handed.

UTG (loose-passive) limps, I raise from CO, BTN (I've had 2 hands with him...he defended in BB against my SB raise w/ 34s and flopped bottom pair, made 2 pair on turn and raised. Other hand he had T3 in unraised pot PF and raised the flop when he hit TP.), blinds fold.

Flop: 3 T 4 r

UTG checks, I bet, villain raises, I called down.

Obviously I wouldn't be posting this if I had won. He had flopped top pair. In my mind, he could have a T, but also 66, 55, A4/A3, 56s--how do I know what he'll raise? He probably thinks I have overs. The last 2 cards were UNDERS to my 77s. Is this okay to call down? Standard?

M
Old 10-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: 77 call down?

Hey Megonita,

So Button has coldcalled your raises in the past - and only raised the flop when he hit top pair, right? Previously he hit bottom pair and just called? I think that lends to folding the flop, since the T is right in a CCers range but the 3 and the 4 are unlikely to inspire this passive-ish loose player to raise the flop.

Against a normal, aggressive player I mix up 3betting the flop and calling down, but I think vs a predictable, passive player you can let this one go.

With that said, I don't know that 2 hands with him is enough to know for certain that he won't raise worse than top pair in a multiway pot, so I would have called down in this spot (barring further bad cards) too.

Surf
Old 10-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I have trouble believing that people are passive because I've seen some incredibly passive fish do some daring things when it's HU-3-handed.

What's crazy is that I feel I call down too much with mediocre hands, yet my WTSD is a bit low. I'll keep posting...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's crazy is that I feel I call down too much with mediocre hands, yet my WTSD is a bit low. I'll keep posting...

[/ QUOTE ]

I got exactly the same problem. I end up calling these kinds of hands down to not be weak. I think it's a leak. My went to SD is a pretty avarage 34% though. Some people here got like 38% and have a higher won at SD % than me. I wonder where those people got the extra few percent went to SD from.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:53 PM

I don't think 38% is necessarily good, but I guess it depends on what game. This hand right here, I think it's okay to call down if suspect. But I think last session (5,000 hands) I called down with A high 3-4 times. That I think is too much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people here got like 38% and have a higher won at SD % than me. I wonder where those people got the extra few percent went to SD from.

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on your W$@SD, I would bet a decent part of the difference is from running good/bad.