Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:50 AM

Default AJs--this hand sucked

Do you 3-bet this PF? Or wait to see if you flop well? Assume UTG is a player where you have some PF equity against him.

Is this turn a bet/fold? I think at the time I was thinking he probably hit his hand and I wanted to see if I hit one of my 7-11 outs. How bad is checking the turn through?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
Old 10-26-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: AJs--this hand sucked

I'd definitely bet the turn here. Preflop you 3bet an utg raiser, which makes it look like you have 2 big faces. When the K comes on the turn, from the SB's perspective, it makes it look a lot like you hit. If he c/r's you, you are beat.

Isn't bet the turn, check behind river UI standard?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 AM

The problem is, if I bet the turn, and he raises (probably meaning a Q or K), then I still have 7 outs, and I have to call because I'm now getting 8:1 on my call.

I'm wondering if this is a situation where I should "tend to check with outs, bet with no outs".

M
Old 10-26-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, if I bet the turn, and he raises (probably meaning a Q or K), then I still have 7 outs, and I have to call because I'm now getting 8:1 on my call.

I'm wondering if this is a situation where I should "tend to check with outs, bet with no outs".

M

[/ QUOTE ]
The saying is the other way around I believe. When you bet with outs you have to win the pot right there less to make a profit because you can improve on the river even if he calls. Without outs, like a PP, you should tend to check if you are unsure were you are in order to ensure a 1BB showdown and induce river bluffs. Of course you have to weigh that against protecting you hand from a free card.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:11 AM

I just call preflop unless the guy is loose.

Bet the turn. The K could be a scare card for him too. Don't worry about getting check-raised, we have outs.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 AM

Im most interested in the flop play, is this standard?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:22 AM

Ooops, its late; Yea , if you are c'red you still call. Still, I think the benefits of a turn bet's fold equity outweighs the chance of being c/r'ed and still losing on the river.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:25 AM

Its standard here because:
- he 3bet preflop
- the board isnt that scary at all
- there are only 2 other people in the pot, one of which has shown no strength
----&gt; Its a continuation bet.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its standard here because:
- he 3bet preflop
- the board isnt that scary at all
- there are only 2 other people in the pot, one of which has shown no strength
----&gt; Its a continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, yeah i missed the pf 3bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

M

[/ QUOTE ]
The saying is the other way around I believe. When you bet with outs you have to win the pot right there less to make a profit because you can improve on the river even if he calls. Without outs, like a PP, you should tend to check if you are unsure were you are in order to ensure a 1BB showdown and induce river bluffs. Of course you have to weigh that against protecting you hand from a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking in TOP and I'm really trying to find this quote.

I understand the principle that the more I have a chance to outdraw villain, the more likely I should be to bet. But there's also the principle that it's good to bet when you are able to fold to the raise, right? When you bet, and know if you're raised that you're behind, yet you still have to call, that's an incentive to check, no?

M