Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Default That not so fresh feeling

Opponent 9/9 after 22 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

I thought about just calling the 3 bet PF and I also thought about checking the flop. I didn't like either one.

Comments??? Help me get that loving feeling back.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: That not so fresh feeling

22 hands is nothing. I often only call the 3-bet HU. BUt considering you capped you have to bet the flop b/c you're going to bet flops you miss. If he doesn't have an ace you're just not going to get action. Its fine. Don't fret.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Why not check the flop?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the flop is bad for two reasons - it is sometimes the dead give away that you hit it big. Also, it lessens your ability to buy pots later on when you miss. (If you'd always check when you hit)
Old 10-02-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BUt considering you capped you have to bet the flop b/c you're going to bet flops you miss. If he doesn't have an ace you're just not going to get action. Its fine. Don't fret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't villain bet flops he missed also? If he has an ace, we'll get action. If he doesn't, we may still get action from KK-JJ. I understand that we may still get action if we bet, but I don't think we will as often, plus if villain takes a free card, then he may catch something that gives him a second-best hand.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the flop is bad for two reasons - it is sometimes the dead give away that you hit it big. Also, it lessens your ability to buy pots later on when you miss. (If you'd always check when you hit)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, we're assuming that villain thinks we'll have AA if we check? He may think we have KK-JJ and we're afraid of an A or AA from him. Granted, that's weak, but we've only been playing with villain for 20 hands, what does he know. This may gain us a bet or more.

Why should I be concerned about how this hand will affect my image? Slowplaying like this occurs so infrequently and I'm going to be betting so many other flops that I hit.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't we turn this around and say that now we'll get more action when we bet our legitimate hands cause now they think we haven't hit?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM

::blind post::

your line is fine, I would cap 100% of the time in that situation. and becasue you did cap, you can't check the flop. that would put up red flags for me if I was your opponent, a total donk could smell that slowplay a mile away
Old 10-02-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't we turn this around and say that now we'll get more action when we bet our legitimate hands cause now they think we haven't hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill you are correct. I was going to post the same thought. I also would have checked this flop giving the impression I was afraid of the Ace. It probably didn't matter in this case because I think villian's flop muck means he had a hand like 99. Once the Ace drops there is no 3-betting or capping hand that he can beat.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
::blind post::

your line is fine, I would cap 100% of the time in that situation. and becasue you did cap, you can't check the flop. that would put up red flags for me if I was your opponent, a total donk could smell that slowplay a mile away

[/ QUOTE ]

A check would put up red flags? This is a perfect hand to slowplay. It looks like you are scared of either aces or a ten. I think villain will bet this on principle with any hand and if called will make a continuation bet if you check the turn. SLOWPLAY THIS HAND. If you think this will decrease your ability to bluff you may be right but you can now buy free cards even when OOP.

LLL