Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Default 6 Max Table Selection

Hi everyone,

I've been recently getting into 6 max instead of ring games and the question I have is about game selection. I understand that just like full ring, the higher the average VPIP, and the lower the average PFR the better, but I'm looking for a little more concrete numbers on where these things start to get good, or what combinations are really good. For example if both of the numbers are tight, like say 20 VPIP and 8 PFR, then you know you can steal a lot more blinds and the hands will be more heads up than multiway, which would lead me to believe you should just play big cards and PP,dump the lower end hands like J9s etc. But if the numbers were looser say 40/15, its a little harder to play because people are raising with more, but the pots are more multiway.

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 6 Max Table Selection

I usually leave a table if it has less than 30 VPIP...I aim for around 40VPIP though. PFR is really up to you...do you like loose passive games or loose aggressive games? They are both very profitable but the swings in the latter are very big. Anywhere from 0-10% PFR is passive and above that is aggressive. So, for me, a 'good game selection of four-tabling would be something like: 40/9, 38/15, 40/10, 45/3.

I'm also very picky at table selection, though.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM

I really don't look much at table VPIP, when I select a table.

Just look for a seat with one or two bad players to your right. Ofcourse, the more bad players the better, but I don't really have any requirements for table averages.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't look much at table VPIP, when I select a table.

Just look for a seat with one or two bad players to your right. Ofcourse, the more bad players the better, but I don't really have any requirements for table averages.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Well I guess the salient question is what is bad. Which is worse, too tight or too loose?

You can own a table if everyone is tight and you never have to fight for a pot, they just fold to the raises. All you have to do is fold to the re-raises and easy to read lines.

The looser games have more money in the middle but you have to fight for the pots because in either situation passive or agressive, they just want to be in the hands.

So if you limit your definition of bad I think you can lose out on +EV situations.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 AM

Loose is always better than tight, more money means more favourable odds, and more mistakes.

Tight can be good, if your opponenets are insaely predictable. Doesnt happen often, but I've played in a few 3/4 handed games where everyone is really tight, and only fights back when they're beating you.

I generally like 35-45 VPIP, but sometimes a 40 VPIP game isnt that great if theres no idiots. VPIP isnt a bad criteria though, you can't really go wrong sitting at 40/10 tables.