Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Folding on the river

For quite awhile I thought my biggest mistake with 6 max games was calling loose passive players on the river too often. However from reading several posts in this forum I am starting to believe I am actually folding the river too much. So I wanted to run a couple of marginal hands by you and make sure I am playing things right. I am focusing on the river folds in these hands, but comments on all streets is always appreciated.

Hand 1: The villan in this hand has stats of (48.65/5.41/0.52) through 75 hands

Preflop: Hero is the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG limps, MP folds, CO limps, Button folds, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 sb) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls.

River: (7 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Easy fold even though I am getting 8:1 on the river call?

Hand 2: Villan in this hand has stats of (48.57/5.71/1.28) through 70 hands

Preflop: Hero is the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, MP folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.5 sb) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Button calls, Hero raises, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Again easy fold even though I was getting almost 9:1 on the river bet?

I appreciate any feedback you have.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Folding on the river

Hand 1: Check-call the turn. A passive player will often give you free card here. If he called your flop bet with a pair/flush draw/gutshot/oesd then he will certainly be calling your turn bet because most gutshots made their straight or paired up with the 9. River fold is standard against a passive.

Hand 2: If you are checkraising this flop then you must follow through with a turn bet to fold out pocket pairs < QQ and A9 or worse. Otherwise, just check-call the entire way and check-fold the river. With his 5.71 pfr%, I think it's safe to checkcall the flop and turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:30 AM

I wouldn't raise KJs PF vs 3 limpers. I think you are going to be dominated & OOP too often here. I think both river folds are fine.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 AM

With the stats of UTG in hand 1 its just as likely he is the dominated one. You have a nice multiway hand vs 2 limpers (at least one very loose) and the BB. Raise it up every time. Even if you are dominated you have flush and str8-potential to fall back on.