Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Should I be laying down?

Pretty boring I'm sure but..

Hand 1
Villian is a regular $2/$4 nut-peddler/set-miner with passive tendencies - his stats are 24/6/1.77 AF over 2600 hands.

He ($400) limps in the first position, I (cover) make it 20 to go in UTG+1 with AA (suits unimportant), folds to him, he calls.

Flop comes: 6d Tc 3h ($45)

He checks, I bet $25, he calls. At this point I put him on a ppair snapping a continuation bet, a set or maybe a ten.

Turn: 4h ($95)

He checks, I check

River: 6s ($95)

He bets 80. anyone play with people where you have no problem folding this? Could I have gotten info on the turn by betting $30-40?

Hand 2

I have been raising preflop frequently and have been playing aggressively at this 6-max table. Villian is a check/caller type with mediocre hands and has yet to play back.

I have 7d8d in the BB. He (220) limps in the SB, I (cover) raise to 16 (standard vs his limp) he calls it.

Flop ($32) comes all diamonds

I bet $20, he min-raises to $40. Action and plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Should I be laying down?

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty boring I'm sure but..

Hand 1
Villian is a regular $2/$4 nut-peddler/set-miner with passive tendencies - his stats are 24/6/1.77 AF over 2600 hands.

He ($400) limps in the first position, I (cover) make it 20 to go in UTG+1 with AA (suits unimportant), folds to him, he calls.

Flop comes: 6d Tc 3h ($45)

He checks, I bet $25, he calls. At this point I put him on a ppair snapping a continuation bet, a set or maybe a ten.

Turn: 4h ($95)

He checks, I check

River: 6s ($95)

He bets 80. anyone play with people where you have no problem folding this? Could I have gotten info on the turn by betting $30-40?

[/ QUOTE ]

calling here is +EV

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2

I have been raising preflop frequently and have been playing aggressively at this 6-max table. Villian is a check/caller type with mediocre hands and has yet to play back.

I have 7d8d in the BB. He (220) limps in the SB, I (cover) raise to 16 (standard vs his limp) he calls it.

Flop ($32) comes all diamonds

I bet $20, he min-raises to $40. Action and plan for the rest of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

calling down here (obviousy within reason) is +EV

fim
Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM

hand 1 - you checked the turn, I think you have to call the river. Hand 2 - push?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling down here (obviousy within reason) is +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think? Don't you wanna push him off a high diamond? If he has the made high flush, all the money is going in anyway...
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 PM

Should I be betting the turn in hand 1? He would fold all his ppairs in all likelyhood, unless he limped JJ. give up ~40 to a ch/r, or play it the way I did? I would have no problem folding to this particular player's turn ch/r, or c/c -> river lead.

Also, have you ever seen this big a bet on the river with a one-pair hand? I almost folded this one - he showed 66 for flopped set, rivered quads.

Regarding 2, should I be giving free cards or just repop? I assume you know what its like to run a 6-max table with a good run of cards or aggressively play - the min ch/r gives nothing away?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 PM

Hand 1-- call. But bet 40 on flop, and probably lead 75% of pot on turn.

2-- Do you have a straight flush draw? If yes, it actually makes me slightly less scared. Even having just 1 or 2 outs makes me more likely to play aggressively here because even if he has the flush, you've got a prayer of winning at least.

Probably a push.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding 2, should I be giving free cards or just repop? I assume you know what its like to run a 6-max table with a good run of cards or aggressively play - the min ch/r gives nothing away?

[/ QUOTE ]

As my judgment is already clouded by the results of hand #1 being revealed, regarding hand #2:

3-bet. Raise him up on the flop. Get it in early while you can. I don't think I push, but his stack is short enough to complicate things a little. Make it ~$110 to go? and then the rest on a non-diamond turn? Probably something like that.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 AM

what does betting 40 on this blank flop accomplish? What happens when the pot is 120 on the turn and bet 75 and our opponent check/raises? There are very few hands with a ten in it that our opponent calls here with, except pkt tens.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what does betting 40 on this blank flop accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

a weak bet him more reasons to call, which u enumerated in op. since we know villain is a rock, making a real bet (~pot) gives u more information on his hand. as u played i would bet turn and fold to a raise from rock. since u didnt i insta call river bet.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 AM

2/3 pot is standard continuation bet. I would get no more action from the full pot bet than a 2/3 pot bet. I thought the flop was fine.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the turn check ends up hurting or helping more in the long run against this type of player. I'm obiously betting the turn against an unknown. I might gain an extra river bet from a smaller pp, but in this hand I would have lost less to the flopped set (turn would have went check, I bet 45, fold to raise).

River was no way an insta-call. I was reluctant to call as there is no draw he could be bluffing with and the hand I appeared to have was a missed AK - this player would not VB that huge with one pair in this spot. Would any?