Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Stud/8 too passive?

I wasn't sure if 5th/7th were played too passively... My opponent is in there almost every hand.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (6.13 BB)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 too passive?

I play it the same. Even maniacs pick up hands once in a while, but the fast that he checked the river makes me believe he had crap.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:54 PM

i bet he was bad in the hole with somethin like an 86 low.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:56 PM

I’d like to be more aggressive with a very loose opponent but his low board is developing too well.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:25 PM

I think I would have brought it in for a complete bet here. I like to play aggresively when I have 3 babies. It's a cheap raise that makes a big statement to limpers and the ace. I mean 3 cards to a nut low is not one to limp with. Tight aggression, tight aggression, tight aggression. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You will scoop nearly 10% of the time against the whole field.

On 4th you are still very strong with 17% chance of scoop and 41% chance of low. The bet is good but true agression would be to try and check raise the best low showing (A4) but this requires that you know your opponent is for sure going to bet. If you can't be sure, then bet yourself. However, this move really only works well if you have an obvious high and the low isn't afraid of competing with you for the same half. All in all the bet is the right move in isolation IMHO.

Now the numbers justify a bet on 5th street. Your EV is 56% and you are only the underdog on the low half during a split. The question though comes back to knowing your opponent. The key question here is will he raise if you bet? Why is this key? Because depending on your opponent, the answer tells you the action to take. If your opponent only raises with made hands then you will want to bet not just because you are favored but to find out where you are. If they call then you can trust that you are favored more. If they raise you can get out and save possibly $8 more to call down. However, if you know your opponent bluffs and will bet or raise no matter what, then you best option is to check so that you don't trp yourself under a cloud of uncertainty. If you expect them to check back, then surely bet. If you are really good at reading weakness, check raise. Check raises were made for stud8. So bet if your opponent is tight (passive or aggressive) or loose passive and check if your opponent is loose aggressive.

Now you didn't ask if 6th street was played too passively but this is where I think you really did. You EV jumped to 66% just then and you check called. This is the time to bet, raise, and check raise depending on style of play.

A brick on 7th leaves you uncertai about your low though you are still favored on all outcomes except high. You are going to showdown here but you want to do it cheaply because you need to assume you lost the high. I would bet to passive non-raisers and check to raisers.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:13 PM

I play it about the same.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 AM

maybe im too frisky but i'd like to raise 6th here against a looseball. I'd check the river too. I've scooped more than a few pots with that hand.