Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 08-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part I

Newby you bring up another good point. The biggest factor to whether or not you will be successful is how much you need for your cost of living. This varies wildly from place to place. Theres no point becoming an online pro while living in the middle of a large city. In many small to medium cities you could get by on 30K a year, some ppl think making less than 50K is crazy but it all depends on your perspective.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 PM

I must confess that you're right. I had not thought of that benefit, and it does sound attractive.

One of the best things about writing for twoplustwo.com is that you guys keep me on my toes.

Thanks,

Al
Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Newby you bring up another good point. The biggest factor to whether or not you will be successful is how much you need for your cost of living. This varies wildly from place to place. Theres no point becoming an online pro while living in the middle of a large city. In many small to medium cities you could get by on 30K a year, some ppl think making less than 50K is crazy but it all depends on your perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in London (well up there on the expensive scale) makes it harder but I think it's still well worth it.

I'll move out of London in an instant if the alternative is going back to the day job.

chez
Old 08-07-2005, 10:54 PM

In the last two cities I've lived in, 15-20K (after taxes) is reasonable, assuming you aren't already in debt of any kind. I've worked for even less than that, renting an apartment and relying on public transportation, which is quite possible for a winning internet player to handle.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:43 AM

20k a year is not living.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Before You Quit Your Day Job

[ QUOTE ]

<digression>I smile a lot more now. Its been three months since I sat through a powerpoint presentation on how wonderful our company is, given to a salesman who will retaliate with his own presentation selling us some rubbish we almost certainly dont want. Three months since the quality morons need my input on designing a form, that I'll have to fill in or sign, whose only purpose in life is to sit in a file until more quality morons check its been filled in and signed... I'll have to stop or I'm going to break out in song. <end digression>.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Quality "moron" I'd just like to state that those documents absolutely positively have a purpose. Its to live in a file. It may not be a big purpose, but its a purpose.

I hate ISO!!!!

Sadly, I have:
a - not nearly enough skill to be a pro
b - too many family commitments to be willing to take the risk involved. If you're single you can take a shot and if it doesn't work out you eat noodles/peanut butter sandwiches for a few months and then go back to "honest work." If you've got a family then "taking a shot" is absolutey NOT an option.

Interesting article, interesting thread.

ThisHo
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM

As someone who's been playing semi pro for the last 2 years I can't wait in about a year or 2 to walk away from my job and give this poker thing a try. If I don't I will really regret it later in life when I'm old and gray wondering what would've been.

For me going pro has nothing to do with the money. I'm fairly confident with incentives like rakeback and bonuses included that I would make an 'ok' salary, not great income but good enough to live on. The most appealing aspect to me is that I will have more time to do what I want.

Like somone said earlier working 9-5 sucks anyway you cut it. I understand the status and comfort thing, I'm just tired of waking up early in the morning, grabbing a quick breakfast and then commuting to your work to deal with all the bs work politics. Then go eat some unhealthy lunch and wait till your watch clicks to 5 so you can leave and commute back home to be totally drained and have dinner and be too tired for anything else. Go to bed early only because you have wake up early again tomorrow to do the same thing. That's a dreary life. If you do enjoy your job then good for you but for most of the population that works a traditional job I hardly see this lifestyle as someone who chooses if it not for the money.

The pro lifestyle appeals to me because I don't have to wake up when my alarm clock goes off. I'll be hitting the gyms a lot more and be eating a much healthier diet. I have a confession to make, when I was younger my parents (like all parents) wanted me to be either a lawyer or doctor. All I wanted to become was a chef and wanted to go to a culinary institute. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No more pizzas for lunch. The time that I don't spend commuting can be better used to go out and socialize. I will also have more time to do traveling.

I'm waiting a bit longer than most people to go pro because I want to have all my financial obigations out of the way before I make the jump. I could walk away from my job now and have enough money to last me many years but I'm still saving a little bit more. You never know what will happen in the future and poker may not be as profitable but by that time I will be fully prepared and have saved enough that money won't be an issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:49 PM

Anyone who is seriously considering turning pro should look at a DVD, "Poker Bustouts." I believe it was a show on HBO.

It gives a dramatic picture of the other side of being a pro. It is not a pretty picture.

Regards,

Al
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 PM

why not!
you just got one life and if you were wrong you only know when the show is over.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who is seriously considering turning pro should look at a DVD, "Poker Bustouts." I believe it was a show on HBO.

It gives a dramatic picture of the other side of being a pro. It is not a pretty picture.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Al

Looks fun and I agree with you that any action junkies looking for a glamorous lifestyle playing the live circuit with no reason to think they are winning players should probably not go pro.

What lessons do you think an experienced online player considering going pro could learn?

chez