Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Results and some thoughts

Villian has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the turned nut flush. The river brings a K and he takes the pot as a 2:1 underdog.

I'm still wondering whether my strategy of acting weak in order to probe an aggressive player actually worked. I felt as though any aggression I displayed would be obviously read by this superior villian. During this hand, I felt his aggression made his hand obvious.

I think I played the hand as best I could, as a preflop raise would likely have him come over the top and have me misgauge my hand and his aggression- forcing me to play it for set value.

From most replies I think the general consensus is I should have waited for a bigger hand preflop to "trap" with. This may have prevented me from getting sucked out in the end, but Im pretty satisfied with having got the money in with the best of it and having my "trap" and read work out. Tens are also a monster in a 6-h game. It was probably dangerous to assume I had the best hand preflop but likely if he came at me with a normal sized VB or even checked on the turn, he could've taken the hand from me.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Results and some thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Villian has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the turned nut flush. The river brings a K and he takes the pot as a 2:1 underdog.

I'm still wondering whether my strategy of acting weak in order to probe an aggressive player actually worked. I felt as though any aggression I displayed would be obviously read by this superior villian. During this hand, I felt his aggression made his hand obvious.

I think I played the hand as best I could, as a preflop raise would likely have him come over the top and have me misgauge my hand and his aggression- forcing me to play it for set value.

From most replies I think the general consensus is I should have waited for a bigger hand preflop to "trap" with. This may have prevented me from getting sucked out in the end, but Im pretty satisfied with having got the money in with the best of it and having my "trap" and read work out. Tens are also a monster in a 6-h game. It was probably dangerous to assume I had the best hand preflop but likely if he came at me with a normal sized VB or even checked on the turn, he could've taken the hand from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I continued to think about your play and actually tend to agree with you. You played it very well. I think your play displayed a boldness and imagination that I am not willing to show against players I consider solid/tricky.

I am also pleased that villain had the one hand I considered most likely. Sorry about the suckout.