Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: QQ OOP vs loose-ish table (attn: -Skeme-)

This is a tough hand. Normally, I would raise about 6XBB with QQ, but you had a raise and a re-raise in front of you. IMO, this changes everything. The button's raise tells me he is representing AA-KK or AK. He is more than twice as likely to have AK. There is an off chance that he has jacks or queens, but I doubt it.

I would have called the pre-flop bet, but not raised. If he has any of those hands, I'm not pushing him off. Catching your set on the flop would normally be good, but with AK being the statistical favorite hand for the button, I would be worried. You have TT-AA beat, but you are either drawing dead or facing no less than 8 outs against your set.

I don't know If I could have done it, but I think the correct play is to check/fold here. I probably would have pushed with a $60 bet at the flop and folded to a re-raise, losing $60 I didn't have to.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know If I could have done it, but I think the correct play is to check/fold here. I probably would have pushed with a $60 bet at the flop and folded to a re-raise, losing $60 I didn't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL...
the small stakes forum is too bizarre.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM

It is not possible to be drawing dead with top set.

For God's sake, loosen up. An unknown's reraising range is considerably larger than AA-KK, AK, especially if Button is aware of position. I'd probably reraise nines in that spot about half the time, for value, deception, & postional control.

Keeping my chips out of the pot on that flop would require some sort of jujitsu hold. Your chances of being behind Broadway are relatively high, but not nearly enough to consider saving so much as a cent. Conversely, your chances of holding set over set are excellent. Under the worst circumstances you'll be getting over 3-1 on a seven-out draw, which ain't bad.

Anyone advocating anything but getting as much as you possibly can in on the flop is just playing scared to death, IMO.