Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Possible to semi-bluff a loosey?

This guy's stats were 80VPIP 20PFR 31WSD 40 W$SD over 70 hands. His min-raise did not concern me much before the flop as his stats indicate he would raise with any playable hand preflop. Super-loose, never folded any draw but had good river sense calling bets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) converter

BB ($235)
UTG ($100.75)
UTG+1 ($271.55)
MP1 ($45.50)
Hero ($205.40)
CO ($222.70)
Button ($81.05)
SB ($78)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $5.

Flop: ($27) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $18</font>, Hero calls $18.

Turn: ($63) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, CO calls $20.

River: ($103) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, CO calls $35.

Final Pot: $173

I didn't put him on a King when he called my turn bet, was the bet wise? should it have been more? I wanted to price myself in to draw.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Possible to semi-bluff a loosey?

given your read on the villain i dont mind the preflop and flop call at all. the turn bet was really nice given the effect that he smoothe called and gave the right price to draw. i really dont like that river bet, i think u have to bet more if u r sure u can move him off his hand something like 2/3 pot or pot. but with your turn play i dont see how u r gonna make him laydown, i may just have had 1 too many of my river plays called down but, when i price myself in on my draws and miss i just usually cry uncle the pot isnt anything to go crazy over. but if u do plan on trying to pick it up on the river i think u have to show more strength on the turn.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:17 AM

Just because the guy raises a lot doesn't mean that his re-raising standards are loose or that you should donk it up post-flop.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 AM

even if he has tight 3-betting standards I'm drawing dead to one hand, pocket kings. I wanted him to raise the turn with a king to narrow down his range so I can know exactly what my outs are.

How exactly is my play donk-ish?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:08 AM

Default bump

anyone play this more aggressively?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm drawing dead to one hand, pocket kings

[/ QUOTE ]

or 44, or jj, or kj, or k4...

I like your turn bet, but think you should have checked behind on the river... a small river bet won't fold him... if you have a tight image, maybe a pot sized bet could've stole it, but not a $20 bet... I hope for your sake his cr was a bluff
Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 PM

they were saying that if the villian's raising standards are tight I would be in trouble. Firstly, they are not (look at the PT stats in the OP), secondly, of the range of hands you listed, a tight raiser would only have KK or JJ which I am in trouble against.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:06 PM

Would you have played as strong if the Jack hadn't come on the turn?

It seems like once your semi-bluff failed that Jack actually hurt you by inticing you to put more $$ in the pot.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I like the turn bet very much....but you can't semi or even bluff a moron believe me i've lost a few pots trying to do so. I think you played it well and the wonder what crap he was calling the turn with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 PM

my plan was to lead any turn card. I wanted to represent the king or at least a made hand of sorts (or if he had the king know where I stood on my outs). Because he flatcalled the turn I felt that I might even have pair outs.