Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Playing Overcards

I have taken stabs at short handed play in the past, but I have just recently started trying to make a serious push at improving my short handed game. I was hoping some of you could give me some pointers on playing over cards.

I am fairly comfortable playing over cards in a full ring game, but I am a bit lost in a 6 max game. Clearly hands like AK are going to be the best hand unimproved more often in a short handed game, but I am kind of at a loss as to how hard to push this. I'll give a specific example, but really it seems I play dozenz of these type of hands each session and they all play out in a similar fashion. FWIW I have been playing mostly the Party 1/2 game, but some Stars 2/4 as well.

In this hand Button is 64%/3% and is passive post-flop, the BB is 45%/12% and is slightly aggressive post-flop.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, Hero raises, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.

Flop: (6.5 sb) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

Again I play hands like this over and over again. Is this SOP? Do you give up the turn? Fire again on the river? Check and fold the river? I am lost on the best way to play these. Any suggestions you have would be very appreciated.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Playing Overcards

I think it's better to check/fold against this type of opponent. Do you have a read that he will take a stab at this pot with nothing ?Since villain is loose/passive, he will check behind hands that beat you and also check behind K high etc that I think checking (expecting a free showdown) is the best play here. The turn bet is good.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's better to check/fold against this type of opponent. Do you have a read that he will take a stab at this pot with nothing ?Since villain is loose/passive, he will check behind hands that beat you and also check behind K high etc that I think checking (expecting a free showdown) is the best play here. The turn bet is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have a read that this particular opponent would take a stab with nothing, but it seems like there is a very large number of players who are in general passive post-flop who will still bet the river with A high if you check to them.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM

I would play the same (1/2 6max). You need to be right 1 of 7 times for the river call. With better reads I would sometimes try a check-raise on the turn but not against a typical calling sation.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play the same (1/2 6max). You need to be right 1 of 7 times for the river call. With better reads I would sometimes try a check-raise on the turn but not against a typical calling sation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is the plan on the river if I check-raise and he calls. I assume you have to lead the river then?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is the plan on the river if I check-raise and he calls. I assume you have to lead the river then?

[/ QUOTE ]

First I repeat this was not meant as a standard play and not against a calling station. I guess you give up UI on the river.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have a read that this particular opponent would take a stab with nothing, but it seems like there is a very large number of players who are in general passive post-flop who will still bet the river with A high if you check to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's were a read is helpful. But they also like to value bet 4th pair on the river when checked to... Without a read it's tough to call this down considering how the hand was played out.