Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Default When to switch gears?

First post here on HUSH, relatively new to the game. I mostly play full ring games at the micro-limits, but have recently been having fun with the $5+0.50 SNGs at Stars. At this point I attribute success to dumb luck, but thinking this morning that I always make it to at least 5th or 6th because I can play decent at a full table.
For the suggestions on this forum, would you switch gears to short handed play when the table reaches 6 players? 5 players? Less?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: When to switch gears?

Maybe you should post this in 1-table Tournaments?

I like to kick it into high gear when it gets down to 5 and 4 people. A lot of people tighten up a lot on the bubble, and I like to take advantage of that. It generally results in less money places overall, but more 1sts and 2nds.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks. I missed that forum title, but now I see it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:59 PM

There are of course different styles to sit-n-go play, but be careful if you are busting out 5th or 6th. This could mean that you are playing way too passively early on and are missing some valuable opportunities when it doesn't cost very much. If you are at a passive table where there are a bunch of limpers it's often good to limp in with a hand like T9s or a pocket pair because if you lose you're down 20 chips and if you hit you could easily double up. Starting the tournament with 3000 chips is a major advantage and you can start stealing early as people will not want to mess with the big stack.

The problem is that I'm guessing what is happening is that you are folding your way to 5th or 6th at which point you don't have a lot of chips left so you have to gamble with a less premium hand and get knocked out.

If this is not the case, then to answer your question, there is no point where you suddenly completely shift gears, you can loosen up as the number of players goes down. Also, how much to loosen up greatly depends on your position and how loose/tight the table is. If the blinds fold every time you should be raising often from late position regardless of your cards. If the preflop action is crazy you need to be very selective.