Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Don\'t slowplay A\'s

I was the BB here, not playing against a preflop raise, but it wasn't raised, SO...

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (8.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Possible flush here, but had to call the raise. Wasn't comfortable reraising here on the river with my two pair.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 2d 8c (two pair, eights and twos).
UTG has Ah Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.20 BB. </font>
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Don\'t slowplay A\'s

I would definitely reraise this river. It's highly doubtful that he had the flush since he bet out on the flop. The only thing that I would put him on his raise on the river is a set, or another two pair. Anyways, I would definitely reraise him here. If he caps, call.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:00 PM

don't re-raise this river - with the river raise he's representing at least 2 pair (i.e. J10) - a re-raise will cost you $$ in the long term. well played.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:09 PM

Bet the flop next time I'd say.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Wow what a douche. That'll learn him.

Bet out the flop! Other than that, hand played fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Limping UTG with AA cannot be that bad on a tight table if you are pretty sure that you'll make everyone fold if you raise. But this has to be the exception and not the rule. I've never tried it myself but i've been the victim of this play and was very annoyed. I'm glad you made him pay.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Bet the flop. Going for the check raise on the flop works a lot more often if there was a pre-flop raiser.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never tried it myself but i've been the victim of this play and was very annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victim, huh?

You make it sound like people who limp Aces are committing some kind of crime. It is an incorrect play most of the time, but that certainly doesn't make you a victim when you complete some shitty hand and end up losing to a slowplayed AA, regardless of what Vince Van Patten tells you.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like people who limp Aces are committing some kind of crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually said that sometimes it is a good play

[ QUOTE ]

It is an incorrect play most of the time, but that certainly doesn't make you a victim when you complete some shitty hand and end up losing to a slowplayed AA, regardless of what Vince Van Patten tells you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a pair of queens with K kikcer is some shitty hand. And yes I was annoyed. And my point was that annoying your opponents is an extra bonus of slowplaying aces.

Who is Vince Van Patten?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:30 PM

My point is that you don't understand the game if you get annoyed at someone slowplaying Aces on you. They almost always save you a bunch of money because if someone raises you on a flop of Q 7 4 and you have KQ then you are not folding. You'll probably 3bet and if the Aces are smart they will cap. Then you'll probably bet or check the turn and you're pretty much committed to show down. If they just call you from the flop down and wait to raise until the river then they saved you a couple bets.

I guess your ego is more important than making money. I understand.