Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Graphs: Finally got them.

Hey all,

I've been using pokertracker for a while and i've noticed the lack of graphs. So I went searching and figured out a way to make them.

For this to work you need.

1. Pokertracker
2. Microsoft Access
3. Microsoft Excel

Here's some instructions and my graphs.

1. Start by turning off Pokertracker so it doesn't interfere with any of your databases while you're doing this.

3. Make a copy of the database you want to make graphs for.

2. Start up Microsoft Access and open your copied database.

3. There should be a window that opens inside access with a menu on the left. Click Queries.

4. Double Click "Create query in Design view"

5. In the upper left hand corner just below the file menu there will be a button with "SQL" on it. Click this button.

6. Now you will have a window with the text "SELECT;" in it. Delete this text and paste in the following text.

[ QUOTE ]
SELECT
game.date_played, game_players.total_bet,
game_players.total_won, game_players.hole_card_1, game_players.hole_card_2, game.flop_1,
game.flop_2, game.flop_3, game.turn, game.river,
game.winning_hand, game_players.final_hand
FROM
game game, game_players game_players
WHERE
game_players.game_id = game.game_id
AND game_players.played_hand='Y'
AND game_players.player_id=
(select pref_value from prefs where pref_key = 'RP')
ORDER BY game.date_played

[/ QUOTE ]

7. On the query menu, select "Run".

8. Now you will have a window columns. The columns run Date, total bet, total won, etc.

9. Select the total bet and total won columns and copy them(Ctrl-C).

10. Open Excel. Select Cell B1 and Paste in the data you copied from Access(Ctrl-V). Now the B column will be total_bet, and the C Column will be total_won.

11. In cell D1 type "Net Won". In D2 type the formula [ QUOTE ]
=C2-B2

[/ QUOTE ]

12. Now drag the black box at the lower right hand corner of cell D2 all the way down to the bottom of your hands.

13. In Cell E1 type "Sums". In E2 type the formula [ QUOTE ]
=sum($E$2:E2)

[/ QUOTE ] Now Drag this down just as you did with the formula in D2.

14. Now select all of column E and hit the chart button. Select XY(Scatter Plot)and select the smoothed lines version. Put in any other information you want and you should get something like this.

I've also made some other graphs that have to do with Preflop luck. The pink lines are how many times I SHOULD have gotten a hand, the Blue lines are how many times I DID get those hands, and the Yellow lines are the differences (Got minus Should have Got). So you can see i'm very Lucky with my aces, but not so much with the range of hands Aces-Nines. The three graphs are Pocket Pairs, Suited Players, and Offsuit Players according to SSH.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Graphs: Finally got them.

looks great!

I have jury rigged simple graphs in excel just using my end of session numbers, and then adjusted the numbers to reflect number of bets...

Is there any way you could have your graph do the same?

For example when you move from .5/1 to 1/2 you would need to have your winnings to have an accurate count of the number of bets won.

thanks for the info.
-k_squared
Old 03-04-2005, 01:45 PM

You just have to create new columns BB_Bet and BB_won. These columns will just be the total_bet and total_won columns divided by the BB size. So in a 2/4 game, you divide those columns by 4 to get it into BB. So instead of graphing the total columns, you graph the BB columns. My databases are cut up by limit so I don't really have to worry about this too much.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM

While I haven't looked at the details, it sure looks nice. I have been exporting the sessions from PT and imported into excel, but this look much better.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 PM

That's some nice work. I threw something together in VB.NET that does something similar. Opens a db and plots hands and stats. I got tired of exporting and having excel do all the work. Maybe if I can get it cleaned up I will post it.

Vern
Old 03-06-2005, 03:25 AM

uhhhhhh please post that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 11:34 AM

yes that would be very nice!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:31 PM

While playing with my little graph program to get it ready to let people play with I noticed one thing:

Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Vern, is this a joke?? Are you serious???

What were some of the most significant changes you made to your game because of the book?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Yes & no, I was being light hearted and I don't know how much the two are connected, but the graph is real and that is about the time I purchased SSHE and read it for the first time.

To answer your question, the important things that book led me to discover in my game....
<ul type="square">[*]Aggression[*]Why cold calling so much pre-flop was, with rare exception, a bad idea.[*]Aggression[*]Why small pairs can generally be played from just about any position in the typical small stakes game.[*]Aggression[*]Thinking about when/why I raise post flop (using the check/raise to protect my hand, when I may be betting someone elses draw, when I actually had reverse implied odds, what is my relative position to the pre-flop aggressor(s)...)[*]Aggression[*]Betting second pair for value.[*]Aggression[*]Counting hidden outs[*]Aggression[*]Why slowplaying anything in a small stakes game is generally bad.[*]Aggression[*]Not to fold on the river for one bet when the pots gets large even when I 'knew' I was beat.[*]Aggression[*]To value bet the river[*]When not to be aggressive[/list]
I was playing far to much of a fit/fold mentality and playing weak/tight instead of TAG'ish.

Vern