Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 03-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Good Push Situations?

I'm still new to MTTs and was wondering if these were good situations to push in. I had just moved to the table and don't have too good a read. Table seemed standard without overly aggressive players. I would appreciate your comments.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t4115)
UTG (t3260)
UTG+1 (t7095)
MP1 (t7360)
MP2 (t4325)
MP3 (t4985)
CO (t9015)
Button (t2685)
SB (t12440)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t2685</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4115</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds.

Second hand came up after I lost the first hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t1330)
Button (t2760)
SB (t6095)
BB (t7360)
UTG (t4825)
UTG+1 (t5685)
MP1 (t9015)
MP2 (t6270)
MP3 (t11940)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1330</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t830.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Good Push Situations?

in both cases you called a raise/reraise with what I think could be an inferior hand. (maybe not to a raise the first time, but the raise and reraise and at BEST you're 50/50) -

what's wrong with just calling and seeing if the flop hurts/improves your hand? - in the first situation I don't think you're short stacked enough to do a reraise all in with Q's - in the second spot, you are short stacked enough, but it's probably still not a smart move if you aren't the initial raiser -

a large part of going all in or pushing is being the first one and having position to do it -
RB
Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the input. If I had AA in the first situation, would that still be a call versus a reraise or all in?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:06 AM

1st push: good.

2nd: Very bad push. He has to call you with anything. The best case scenario is a coinflip or AQ. You're just too often dominated in this hand to make this push good. However, if everyone folded to you and you open-pushed, it would be fine. You still have some time to find a better spot.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:11 AM

you see, Jablue...here's my thoughts as I expressed above -

it's been popped and repopped. Now, at BEST, one of them has AK - and if you're lucky, the other one has an A or K and has reduced the outs -

I'm not super duper comfy pushing all in here unless I know the raiser and reraiser are overaggressive - but I can't tell that from the post - one raise, absolutely - a raise/reraise....well....I think he's beaten by AA/KK. Let's see if he tells us how he lost the hand. It's the reraise that makes me go hmmm...

and hell, he did get it heads up....so it partially worked - but the 2nd all in had a big hand, I'm guessing...or a 50/50 - RB

RB
Old 03-04-2005, 07:24 AM

WhiskeyTown: I think your hand range for the repopper is way too narrow. He has 2600. The bet is 600 to him. He should be pushing with a lot more hands here than just AA,KK, and AK. I would expect JJ, 1010, AK, AQ to push here and that's still kind of narrow. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 99, 88, or 77.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 99, 88, or 77.

[/ QUOTE ]
An aggressive player could even make this move with suited connectors. Even if the blinds folded, this would be a very hard call for the original raiser, since there is another caller yet to act. Harrington describes this pretty well in HoH, I think he calls it the squeeze move or the sandwich effect.

-Magnus
Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 AM

In the first example, I would be very surprised if the button did have AA or KK. Why would he make a raise that probably will scare everyone away with a monster hand?

If he had raised to 1500, I would fold QQ here. But as this put turned out, I would push like you did. And if he has AA or KK, you are simply outplayed and its nothing you can do about it.

The second example is an automatic fold. I would not call with this hand, and I would most definitely not see a raise with it, unless I am extremely shortstacked.

Here is a little lesson that surprisingly many people dont think about: a hand like KJ is often FAR worse than a hand like 67 suited against a raiser or reraiser. The reason is that KJ is dominated by AK, AJ, KQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, which are all common opening/raising hands.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a little lesson that surprisingly many people dont think about: a hand like KJ is often FAR worse than a hand like 67 suited against a raiser or reraiser. The reason is that KJ is dominated by AK, AJ, KQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, which are all common opening/raising hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was playing a live tourney some time back. I was short-stacked in MP with 5xbb or so. UTG is also short-stacked (6xbb), and goes all-in. I call all-in with KQs. It's folded around to the big stack(40xbb), who is a very good player. He calls with 67s. UTG shows KQo. The big stack hits his 7 and wins the pot.

At the time I thought this was horrible play by the big stack, but I've realized that it's actually pretty good.

-Magnus
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 AM

The first one I flat call hoping the original raiser also calls or pushes. My reasoning is that if the reraiser has AA/KK's and the UTG has AK/AQ and is loose I may be able to win a sidepot from UTG 1 to cover my loss if button does have a bigger pair.

The second hand I think is a clear push evn if you may be behind you have 7x BB and still some FE as MP 2 doesnt neccessarily have to have a big hand here to be raising with his chip count.