Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: after limp-reraising AA...

who calls a 2x pot limp-reraise with AJ or KJ? not saying it doesn't happen, just...i could believe a miniraise with AK or QQ more easily.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure which game this was in, but I've seen this type of behavior numerous times on Party with hands like A4o or 97o. Calling that limp reraise with AJ or KJ wouldn't necessarily make me label that player as particularly loose or bad for the party 100NL 6 max.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. it is obvious that I have AA. I expect my opponent to assume that i have AA, especially if i bet 3/4 the pot on the turn.

4. MP1 may have AK, which is semi-strong but way behind me. If he does have AK, i think he will bet the turn after i check, thus betting my hand for me. he may even bet my hand for me with AQ or 77.

[/ QUOTE ]
These 2 points can't both be true, can they? However, revealing your A A on the turn by betting isn't the end of the world. The pot is big enough and I would be glad to take it home right there. I would bet out on the turn every day of the week. His most likely holdings as I see it are infact A K or A Q. A K may also call your $35 bet on the turn. Also, I wouldn't say that the board is drawless. A J, AT, K J Q J are not impossible holdings.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:49 AM

You essentially played the hand correctly. One pair is one pair, and you were right to want to keep the pot smallish. With that board, AA doesn't look great. I think your line was fine - especially with no reads. I see KQ here a lot.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:22 AM

Im a fan of the book super system, and in the No Limit section Doyle Brunson advocates going all in on the flop after getting quite a bit of $ in the pot preflop so that you dont out guess your self on later steets... Does this apply to this situation at all or is this way of thinking outdated?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:57 AM

I havent read it in a while, but I think thats the way he advocates playing KK, not AA.

Its not an awful approach if you think gamblers will call with a draw. But it depends on stack size and table image. At most low stakes tables this is a tell. I prefer betting 1/2 the pot and hoping someone comes over the top or c/r all-in if the stacks are not too large.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Brunsons states in SS, that if he gets more than half of his stack in PF w/ AA or KK ( I think it applies to both, but I´m not sure) the rest is going in on the flop. So I guess that does not apply in this hand anyway.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:54 PM

Default results

MP1 showed Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a straight.

CHECKFOLD was right- MP1 had a number of outs on the turn, and he wisely checked behind rather than betting his drawing hand.

he pretty much let me off the hook on the river.

looking back on the hand i still don't know if i can see a better way to play it. of course i would push if i knew he had QT...but i still think that the check was OK. I think the times I am beaten outnumber the times MP1 has a decent draw...and when i am ahead of a non-drawing hand (AK, AQ) the check is only slightly less profitable than a bet.

one mistake i think i made: giving my opponent too much credit for being tight by default (without having a read).
Old 01-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: results

I feel that when you clearly define your hand, as you did preflop with the kimp-reraise, you need to make sure your opponent isnt getting odds to draw to a hand with a pp or a suited connector. If your opponent is solid, he can play a pp or suited connector for only $10 when youve both got $160 behind and be makingna profitable play, since he knows you have AA/KK. I personally don't like limp-reraising anymore unless the table has been very aggro, or my stack is small enough to get it all in before the flop and maybe get called by some junk (TT, AQ etc.). So basicaly, open raise preflop (hey, maybe theyll comeover the top with KK/QQ or AK here, then they make a terrible mistake calling your allin preflop) or come over the top for more than $10.

There is one exception, and that is if you occationaly limp-reraise to ~$10 with non AA/KK hands, then your hand isnt as clearly defined. But I dont advocate that play, and I dont think youve been doing that anyways.