Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Introduction/Bankroll question...

Hey all,

I'm new to these forums and just wanted to say hi and make my presence known. I recently graduated from Penn State with a degree in Logistics, and I've always been fascinated with poker. I've been a casual player for the past two years and I'd finally like become more serious with my poker game. I've lurked here on 2+2 for the past few weeks and realized the vast amount of information to be found here. I see what a valuable tool these forms can be and I intend to fully utilize this resource and look forward to hearing everybody's input.

Here goes with my first question...
I have read Homer's post about bonuswhoring to build a bankroll up from $100. I recently deposited $25 into my online account, and am looking to grind out an additional $75 before follwing the steps Homer recommends taking (I could deposit the $100 automatically, but would like to start at $25 in order to reinforce discipline). My first question to you all is what is the most effective way to build up a bankroll when starting with $25? I am patient and I realize tight play is the way to go when starting off building a bankroll, but what games should I be playing? Holdem? Omaha? Omaha Hi-Lo? NL? PL?

Thank you all for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Eric
Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Introduction/Bankroll question...

If you're very good, NL hold'em ring would be a good choice. Otherwise I'd go with the smallest limit hold'em you can, making the correct adjustments given your bankroll (which have been addressed extensively elsewhere).
Old 01-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Introduction/Bankroll question...

Eric,

If you truly intend to get your $25 up to $100, this will be significantly more difficult than just plunking down $100 due to the large amount of time it will take, given the stakes you would be playing to avoid risk of ruin.

However, if you consider yourself a poker novice, I would advise playing small, small stakes tables and get yourself a copy of Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'Em.

When you're confortable at whatever stakes you are playing, move up. Only move up when you're comfortable that you're beating the game.

Use the 300BB rule as a guide when you move up towards limits of .25-.50, .50-1, 1-2, etc. For example, you'll need $300 to play comfortably at .5-1.

I am currently in the process of using Homer's bankroll building from $100, and the blog is here.

Tight play is a must, but you must also be aggressive when your hands are good. Search for BisonBison's hand converter and post some hands on the forum for some help/guidance if ever needed.

If there's anything I could advise right now, it's that you should use Neteller as opposed to Firepay when dealing with the crypto sites. When it comes to dealing with crypto sites, Firepay is a sonovabitch. You have to wait at least 10 days before wagering your money after you deposit.