Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Omaha heartbreaker (Part 2)

I'm dealt A48K with the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] suited in the big blind. With four others calling a raise, I pay the discount and see a flop with an ace, another low card and one high card; one of these is a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's checked around to me, so I bet and receive multiple callers. The turn is a low [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the PF raiser bets, with myself and one other guy calling. The river is another low [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The PF raiser checks, I bet, call, raise(?), I re-raise, fold, cap it(??), I call. He has nut-nut. I'd been playing with the guy for five hours and seen him turn over 24XX, 25XX and a few other odd combinations. Where did I go wrong? Lost over $350 for the session, mostly on the hands I've detailed. Am I playing that badly?!?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Omaha heartbreaker (Part 2)

Where did I go wrong?

It's difficult to say. Do you remember the ranks of the board cards ?

Also, you say you were in the Big Blind, but then say it was checked around to you on the flop. Are you sure of the positions? Was the pre-flop raiser on your left or right?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't consider A48K playable.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:01 PM

You have to remember that you never had the nuts for this hand from the beginning. So even though your opponent might have slow-played it a little at the end, you were taking a chance the whole way. If you were in the BB, I can see how you got sucked into it, but even after the flop you really didn't have much going for you.
I'm a little confused about the order you gave too - after the river you said the PF raiser checked, and then you called (?) - did you check too? Did he bet?

bodie
Old 01-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Domester - There are a couple of things that aren't right about your post.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm ..... in the big blind. ..........
It's checked around to me, so I bet and receive multiple callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) How is it checked around to you if you're in the big blind?

(2) How can PF raiser have nut-nut if you have made the diamond flush with the king in your hand and the ace on the board? Are you implying PF raiser made a diamond straight flush wheel on the river?

Buzz
Old 01-03-2005, 05:16 PM

I probably have the betting order messed up, but I was in the big blind and the winner re-raised my re-raise. Also, the flop was an ace (not of diamonds), another low card and one high card w/ one of the other two cards being a diamond. We saw runner-runner diamonds to give the nut flush.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 PM

Ah, Buzz, I didn't notice in his first post that the A on the flop was the A of diamonds. Hmmmm, that does make it confusing as to what the nut high was.

Bodie
Old 01-03-2005, 07:36 PM

So it *wasn't* the Ace of diamonds, which is the way I first thought it was. So again, it seems you didn't have too much going for you after the flop except a pair of Ace's, a poor low and a runnner/runner draw to 2nd nut flush.
After the river when you knew there was a flush, but no paired board, you knew you couldn't push off the nut flush, so I'm wondering why you raised at that point. But you're saying now that you raised, he reraised, and you called. Is that right?

Bodie
Old 01-03-2005, 07:49 PM

The previous responses have been good.

It seems like maybe you are new to O8? Just getting into it?

Neither of these hands you posted seemed too complicated (and this is coming from a person who couldn't tie her shoes until she was seven, lol). The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you are new to the game and don't have a real grasp of it yet.

I would pick up Ray's book. I have had excellent results playing rote O8 like a Zee clone.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Just to clarify --- the ace on board was NOT the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. And while I am relatively new (< 8 months) at poker, based on the the ragdog hands that I saw some of the folks turn over at showdown, I think I have more of idea about the game than they. Aside from this hand and one where I had 234X, I think I entered about ten other pots (aside from my blinds) with either A2XX, A3XX or four cards T or better in a six hour session. I've read some of Zee's book, and own copies of Cappelletti and Tenner/Krieger, into which I dig regularly. I guess my question should have been "Was I wrong to pursue a relatively large pot w/ only best pair and 2nd nut backdoor flush after the turn made a low against a guy who had been showing relatively iffy hands up to that point?" I just felt that, with only one bettor (who, based on previous activity, I figured for going low) after the flop, I was winning everything until the turn card. And I guess I thought that even with a split pot, it was big enough to justify seeing the river.

P.S. If either Buzz or Felicia are regular Taj Mahal inhabitants, I'd like to meet you and talk shop. Maybe I can discuss some of the hands from my next (hopefully much happier) session.