Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Default 3 bet on river?

Hello, I am usually a nl sng player, working on my limit game. Looking for comments on this hand. looking back at it, no raise on the turn probably meant my hand was good, but the button cold calling worried me. comments on other streets would appreciated too. sorry if this is too basic of a hand

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
Loudini012 folds, UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (11 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 07-26-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: 3 bet on river?

I probably play it the same way, except I don't bet out the flop for the following reasons:

1. Your draw isn't to the nuts.

2. You have no overcards

3. You have no other draw other than the flush draw.

If No. 1 applies, I definitely bet out. If Nos. 2 and 3 apply, I probably bet out.

Naturally, you have to bet the turn. And when you don't face any resistance there, you have to bet the river. That is a strange raise from UTG+1, however, and one can only wonder what the button has (I'm guessing no worse than a singleton K, which of course, you beat).

If UTG+1 filled up on the turn, he butchered the hand badly. That means he had the best hand on all streets after the flop and never put in a raise until the river -- and with a legit raise-calling hand out there -- yours.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:27 AM

Greetings and welcome. Your flush is going to win the vast majority of the time when it hits, nuts or not. Running into a higher flush isn't something to worry much about. I definitely bet the flop, raise the flop, cap the flop when you're getting 2+ callers... though I'm much happier with a least 3. Two is too close to neutral EV to get me very excited about the value bet opportunity, but it may be worthwhile when other factors are taken into consideration.

I vote for leading out unless you have an aggressive player close behind who can be relied on to bet when checked to... in which case a c/r might be in order. My goal is, of course, to trap as many people for as many bets as possible, and leading out is usually the best way to go about it.

With the pair on the board and a couple other people still in the pot, I think it's fine to just call the river raise.

Well played, sir.

And in the future, don't worry about whether a hand is interesting enough to post. If you're not sure about how it went down, there's probably something about it that's worth exploring. If not, what the hell. Sometimes a person just needs reminding.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the pair on the board and a couple other people still in the pot, I think it's fine to just call the river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
The couple other people in the pot gives more reason to 3-bet, not less. This looks like a pretty easy 3-bet on the river to me. I'm guessing the flush beat trip K's.

Other than that I agree. I like the play until just calling the river raise.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:52 AM

Raise the river. If you were against a higher flush or a full house, you would have prolly heard about it on the turn.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. By the way, UTG+1 had the straight, button hand a K
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 PM

Hey cokehead -- i like that name [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hehe

I really like the way you played this hand, with the excpetion of your river play, which yr title on yr post tells me is yr main concern. Why does utg+1 wake up when that nine hits? What hands does a nine make that beats yr flush? None that I can think of -- but then again I'm drunk right now. I think you 3 bet here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the boards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]