Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-23-2005, 01:35 AM

Default When a table runs bad, what do you do?

Variance is a bitch. But I was curious what everyone else does when it hits a particular table that you are playing on HARD or a particular session, all tables HARD.

Lets say X table has a nice number of fish and some average players. The fish and average players suddenly start hitting hands on you. Makeing their guts, flushes, 2 pair, trips on the turn or river. They do this 3 of 4 hands your playing. Seems like everytime you see the turn someone is raising. Your aces and kings get cracked on the river 3, 4, 5 times in a row. Comes to a point that you start feeling "they can't all being drawing out on me ALL THE TIME!?!" and you start getting frustrated. You lose hand after hand dropping $150 in 1/2 hour at 3/6.

When you get there what do you all do?

I move tables. I don't care what the players are. Call it bad table mojo, the random number generator is seeding my hands predictably, biorythum is off, stars are misaligned for your sign, the other players have packets of 4 leaf clovers... whatever. I move. If I get beat for 50 BB or start getting frustrated I quit for the night.

I hear some say they play though it but I can't see how when the varicance piles on that bad, players will soon try to be tricky and bluff, you CAN'T bluff because they are thinking your unlucky or bad, and you are frustrated.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: When a table runs bad, what do you do?

players that can play through it dont get frustrated.

my tolerance has built up over time, but i still know when to quit.

a few sessions ago i had AA twice, KK three times, QQ three times, and JJ once within 200 hands... every single one got cracked, most of them heads up. i got the hell out... id be impressed with anyone level headed enough to take that.

i think your strategy for dealing with it is perfect
Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

I hate it when this happens but I am very slowly building up a tolerance for it. For me it helps to play with PAHUD on. If I'm getting busted up and there are 3 TAGs 3 LAGs 3 Rocks and no fish / calling stations at the table I move on (actually if its that bad I'll move on even if I'm winning); If its mostly fish and calling statiions I'll hang around.

Also I usually buy in for 30BB; if I loose that I'm done - that gives me a maximum loss possibility for any table which I think helps prevent big (often tilt-induced) downswings. (I think the 30BB limit comes from Annie Duke but I can't remember).
Old 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If it affects you mentally, as it seems it's doing, leave and start fresh. But understand, you cannot outrun or avoid a swing. It's still one big session. It's just a matter of where you want to mostly spend that session.

It does take a bit to learn how to play through a badwing/run.

The sooner you are able to realize that even though you are getting shelled that you are still making money sitting in a good game, regardless of the initial result, provided that you are playing winning poker, the better.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear some say they play though it but I can't see how when the varicance piles on that bad, players will soon try to be tricky and bluff, you CAN'T bluff because they are thinking your unlucky or bad, and you are frustrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily. You may be giving them too much credit for thinking about you. Most likely they'll just play the same except they are hitting. Many players will think they're getting moves made on them when they really aren't.

I'd suggest rereading SSHE: Gambling concepts-Where the money comes from.

b
Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM

I agree, I move a lot. Why play players that are almost as, good as, or better than you.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Naw, naw, I know all this. I know thee are swings. I have had them. Usually if I run a little or moderately bad I stay and make it up. I am talking about those nights where literally you are losing every hand and the ones you win no one calls.

I'm talking about nights where NOTHING goes right. You check your PT hand results and 2 pair and trips show -$. Where your win at showdown is 35-40%. Those are UGLY nights. They don't happen often, maybe once every 4-6 weeks. But I have learned to look for signs to quit.

And I do believe players alter to your losing streak. Its not about if they play right or wrong its about them taking shots over and over having you make difficult decisions.

No one can argue that a scared predictable opponent is harder to beat then one who is tricky and feeling lucky. Even if they are of equal skill.

Well at least I know Im on the right track with how I handle it.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 PM

Since players tend to really chase you when you re running badly, you can't bluff them. However, you will get paid off in full when you make a big hand. The good news is that you can play very strong hands when you get them and still be paid off despite your obvious tight play. This is a boring but very profitable situation too good to pass up IMO.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Naw, naw, I know all this. I know thee are swings. I have had them. Usually if I run a little or moderately bad I stay and make it up. I am talking about those nights where literally you are losing every hand and the ones you win no one calls. I'm talking about nights where NOTHING goes right.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm talking about also. Many 'know' the rhetoric about playing through bad swings and all, they can recite it word for word. But when it comes down to actually playing through a really bad one, they revert back and leave a gravy table because, usually, they are psyched out by how much they are losing. They tend to see 'moves' that aren't actually being made on them. I've been there. Putting it into practice is much harder than it looks. You also have to realize that you are only 1 player on a table.
[ QUOTE ]
And I do believe players alter to your losing streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some. Definitely not the majority, imo. Not 'everyone' is adjusting to you, especially when the pots are multiway. They have other opponents to worry about. You can use that to your advantage.

I've folded and not dragged a hand for hours on end still came through it. Experience is the key. Another factor is to not let them know that it affects you that you're getting an asshanders award. I've found, in live play, that when they notice that beats really have no effect on you, they tend to still be careful as they were regardless of the streak.

I've seen many players who 'think' they know about this leave very profitable tables. Tables with idiots who wouldn't know how to adjust if their fly was undone. But because they lose for an hour or so str8, they leave.

You're on the right track, in a way, since you do leave when you don't feel right on the table. Eventually you will want to move beyond that. I'd look more at your own psychology in these situations and if it's been altered before I look at the players on a gravy table. Just as I would look at my own play first before I chalk it up to run of the cards when I'm on a bad run. Get up, take a walk, think about the factors involved, then make a clear headed decision.

b
Old 12-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Eskimo:>>"my tolerance has built up over time, but i still know when to quit. a few sessions ago i had AA twice, KK three times, QQ three times, and JJ once within 200 hands... every single one got cracked, most of them heads up. i got the hell out... id be impressed with anyone level headed enough to take that."<<

I have had the identical "difficulties" over the past month, and am chalking it up to the expected "bad run" many experts tell me I will have to endure. Oh, my word ... will this run of bad luck <font color="red"> </font> end? &lt;g&gt;

Crafty
Old 12-23-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about nights where NOTHING goes right. You check your PT hand results and 2 pair and trips show -$. Where your win at showdown is 35-40%. Those are UGLY nights. They don't happen often, maybe once every 4-6 weeks. But I have learned to look for signs to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are nights I'd kill for 35-40%. I've had several sessions in the past two months where mine was 16%. I've also had nights when it was 70% and I still lost 50BB in a single session.

My solution was simple: I've pretty much given up limit poker and started playing NL SnGs.