Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: my first sssh post!!!! did i get the acronym wrong?

another line is just calling down with outs, but I don't know if I like that one.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A free SD raise is generally a raise in position that is intended to be the last money you put into the pot unless you improve on the river. If it is a true free showdown raise, you are folding to a three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is really. a very common example is a weak suited ace that pairs and has a flush draw..
Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
happydaz -

did you miss the preflop action or are you just not buying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi jba-

I have the flu, and I will blame my mental problems on it all day long. I guess raising this flop after a cap is pretty silly. Now, I'm always a big fan of putting more money in on the turn when I pick up a pretty draw, but this may be wrong betcause getting 3-bet sucks and we have to call. Would you rather call/call/ raise river?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
happydaz -

did you miss the preflop action or are you just not buying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi jba-

I have the flu, and I will blame my mental problems on it all day long. I guess raising this flop after a cap is pretty silly. Now, I'm always a big fan of putting more money in on the turn when I pick up a pretty draw, but this may be wrong betcause getting 3-bet sucks and we have to call. Would you rather call/call/ raise river?

[/ QUOTE ]

ha no problem. I just realized that my post sounded a bit snarky which isn't what I intended -- it was a genuine question.

I like the turn raise on this very specific turn, see my first post...
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A free SD raise is generally a raise in position that is intended to be the last money you put into the pot unless you improve on the river. If it is a true free showdown raise, you are folding to a three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is really. a very common example is a weak suited ace that pairs and has a flush draw..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd categorize that as a traditional semi-bluff - we probably don't have the best hand but lots of outs to the best hand, and we'd be happy to have opponent fold immediately. It's a bit of semantics, though, since even my use of the term is a form of semi-bluff. I think most people on these boards refer to raising with what may be a second-best hand but with lots of outs to improve as a "semi-bluff" and raising with what may be a second-best hand that has few outs to improve as a "free showdown" raise -- the principle difference being that in the former you're calling a three-bet and in the latter you are probably not. You ideally want to make both plays when you think the chance of getting three-bet is small, but in the latter a three-bet tends to ruin your play while in the former it elicits a grumble. If you're raising a nut flush draw with a a medium pair (one that you have ample reason to believe is second best), you better be doing so only if (1) there's a decent chance Villain folds to the raise, and (2) there's a very small chance Villain three-bets, and (3) there's a small chance that Villain stop n goes the river.