Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Is pro poker right for me? [LONG]

[ QUOTE ]
Engineering is the ultimate anally repressed field out there........

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha so true, but its their schooling that makes them that way. Every engineering major I have ever dealt with is under some insane time crunch to get some crazy project done.

I enjoy rolling out of bed at 4pm being a film major lol...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do not get performace reviews or yelled at
when you don't do well at poker..

[/ QUOTE ]

Side query, am I the only one who yells at myself and talks nasty sht to myself in my book-keeping when I play poorly?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope! =)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Nomad, I read your post and all these replies...

My opinion in a nut shell would be to take note of all the points here because they're good advice. Then just do it. See if you can make a go of it.

Now for my explanation of why i think so...

As you stated, your in a position where you have no dependents, and you have some money to fall back on. This does not make up for your pure lack of experience. However, if you think of this as being an 'entry level' position... meaning you'll probably make just enough money to live and you'll have to put in extra hours to get ahead, then you may do just fine. No matter what our career path, most people start out in entry level positions. You'll gain experience so long as you're willing to put in hard hours and learn.

I don't disagree with the points made against going pro, it just seems that if you have the means and the desire, then why not try it out. Making any 'career change' can be risky. If you're going to do it, now seems to be the time.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i say get ur masters and play cards

[/ QUOTE ]

Im guessing most people would laugh at this suggestion but it happens to be exactly what I did. I got a masters in Data Mining and Statistics and during my 1 year program (i did a 4+1 program staight out of undergrad at my univeristy) and I supported myself with poker. I am confident that coming out of undergrad I did not have the necessary abilities to succeed as a professional poker player, now I do just that. Additionally the masters degree gives me a little something extra to fall back on if need be (plus I dont plan on playing poker for ever).

-Brad