Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 12:30 AM

Default i executed a fancy semi-bluff, now what?

Villain is 27.5/9/5, goes to showdown 30%. Fold pf? do u like my c/r representing a big hand or no? now wtf do i do on the river? i lose to an overpair which he could very well have, but A-hi will call me. if i check, do i call a bet? maybe this wasnt the best idea...........

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: i executed a fancy semi-bluff, now what?

Given that this is a blind steal situation, I would usually have check/raised the flop. This player certainly looks aggressive enough preflop to be attempting to steal the blinds with a less than premium hand, and quite often your pair of eights/ace kicker is the best hand at that point.

River is kooky...given his aggression (is that 5 a typo? Small sample size?), you have to fear a bluff raise, so bet/fold loses some luster and check/call might actually be a better choice. But if your read isn't firm enough to really assign him that much aggression postflop, bet/fold is probably good...as you said, ace high is calling you a lot here. I could even see bet/call entering the equation if he's really as aggressive as he looks.

BTW, I see where you're coming from with the turn check/raise (that 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is scary as hell to almost any hand he's holding), but I don't know how effective it is. He's never folding an overpair and probably not folding top pair in a HU situation, and if he's got Ace high than you already have him reverse (?) dominated. About the only time I could see you folding a better hand with this move is if he's holding 99 exactly, and even then a fair number of players will call down given the blind battle status. So basically, I think this has to be a situation where you feel you're check/raising for value, rather than as a bluff.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:54 AM

why do you think ace high will call you? There's about nothing on this board that ace high beats. You have second pair oin a double paired board, you check-raised the flush, the top card paired. If ace high calls, it means he think you're an ultra lag or over defend. Really, if he has two big unpaired cards he's beating like nada here.

Depending on the opponent, I'd might be inclined to check-call this river, thinking he called the turn check raise with a big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It sucks to call with an 8 when he shows you jacks, but I don't think he's winning without a big pair and big pair don't grow on trees.

Of course, if he'd call with ace high then bet. If he raises I can't see how you can call. Even if he's "bluffing," I think he'll be bluffing with the best hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 AM

I no likey the turn.

He's not folding a better hand.

There is value in a bigger pot if he folds his 6-15 outer. But 3.25BB I don't think qualifies.

The other thing - if you are behind, you have next to zilcho outs. This move would be completely warranted if you had the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

that's probably a duh comment, sorry
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 AM

I think the subject of your post is very good.

PS folding preflop would be really bad.

PPS I think you should checkraise the flop. But if you checkcall the flop you should definitely not checkraise the turn.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Yeah, checkraising the flop seems like the best option. you guys are right on the turn, im not folding a better hand and i have no outs to improve without a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].i also risked giving a free card with the best hand. i went for a check/call on the river since i might induce a bluff from A_hi or his busted 4 flush.