Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: boring basic crap hand I was thinking about in the shower

[ QUOTE ]
What I tend to do is if it's a full game (and I didn't reraise pre-flop), I'm more likely to just fold the flop and wait for a better spot to make my money. Real short, I would continue to play, sometimes call and sometimes raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand. It seems like it should either be correct or a mistake to continue in this spot regardless of whether the game is full (assuming any bunching effect is negligable).

Is it because your opponent is more likely to be taking a shot at you with cheese when the game is short? Or because the metagame effects of calling down with a marginal hand is more important when shorthanded?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM

When you call the flop (which I would) and call the turn (which I would) if he bets the river you can easily fold in my opinion because I think K-high will get check/called almost every time, and all hands that beat you are still betting. If he checks it I take the free showdown and hope my Q-high is good. I think this is a spot where you maximize by doing nothing but calling and also lose the least.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you call the flop (which I would) and call the turn (which I would) if he bets the river you can easily fold in my opinion because I think K-high will get check/called almost every time, and all hands that beat you are still betting. If he checks it I take the free showdown and hope my Q-high is good. I think this is a spot where you maximize by doing nothing but calling and also lose the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts precisely. Glad we're on the same page.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Would you typically check/call with K high here most every time if you were the villian?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you call the flop (which I would) and call the turn (which I would) if he bets the river you can easily fold in my opinion because I think K-high will get check/called almost every time

[/ QUOTE ]
His check-calling K high makes your calling w/ Q high a better play. I don't disagree with your conclusion, but this comment is a bit out of place.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you call the flop (which I would) and call the turn (which I would) if he bets the river you can easily fold in my opinion because I think K-high will get check/called almost every time

[/ QUOTE ]
His check-calling K high makes your calling w/ Q high a better play. I don't disagree with your conclusion, but this comment is a bit out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Schneids means that K-hi would bet the flop and turn but check the river, and only hands that are ahead of us would bet the river since it appears we are committed to showdown.

Surf
Old 12-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I know what his point was, and I agree with it, that folding is the best play. But he included that K-high will check-call as part of the reason to fold the river, when in fact the opposite is true. The more hands that beat Q-high that will check-call, the better calling your opponent's bet is.