Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-07-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Pierre to the Cubs

Didnt see this posted yet.

ESPN article

The Florida Marlins have tentatively agreed on a four-player deal that would send Juan Pierre to the Chicago Cubs, for three young pitchers -- Sergio Mitre and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported early Wednesday.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Pierre to the Cubs

The Marlins are using the "Major League" play, and building a team full of scrubs. That way the attendence will drop and they can move the team.
Leading off for the Marlins... Willie Mays Hayes
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 AM

I don't like the deal a whole lot. I think 2 pitchers was probably enough, and pierre is pretty overrated.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the deal a whole lot. I think 2 pitchers was probably enough, and pierre is pretty overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pierre is rated just about right.

I do think the Marlins make out like bandits here. Three more quality arms? You've got to figure at least one of those guys should end up being pretty good.

That being said, I don't think the Cubs overpaid by much. Having Pierre bat leadoff and Hairston bat second is going to help that offense. Also, they will certianly get something in return for Cory Patterson, who I would have to imagine is on the way out. Even if they keep Patterson, they can move Pierre to left where his arm is not as much of a liability.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Juan Pierre sucks ass. Giving up three good prospects for one year of someone who pretty much sucks ass is just fantastic.

Prediction: Mitre has an ERA under 4.25 in a nearly full season as a starter next year.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Bodog just set the over/under on total Marlins' attendance this year at 143.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pierre is rated just about right.

I do think the Marlins make out like bandits here. Three more quality arms? You've got to figure at least one of those guys should end up being pretty good.

That being said, I don't think the Cubs overpaid by much. Having Pierre bat leadoff and Hairston bat second is going to help that offense. Also, they will certianly get something in return for Cory Patterson, who I would have to imagine is on the way out. Even if they keep Patterson, they can move Pierre to left where his arm is not as much of a liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

hairston will be lucky to get playing time, if hes still on cubs. He's the team's 4th second baseman, and is getting pushed out of the OF too. The chances of Pierre playing left with Patterson in center has to be close to none. Dusty will be driven out of town if he does not give a legit chance to Murton in left.

Anyway, cubs prolly overpaid, but I think Pierre was the best fit for the teams needs.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hairston will be lucky to get playing time,

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard Todd Walker was on his way out of town?

[ QUOTE ]
The chances of Pierre playing left with Patterson in center has to be close to none. Dusty will be driven out of town if he does not give a legit chance to Murton in left.

[/ QUOTE ]

As of right now, the Cubs have two outfielders on thier 40 man roster, Murton and Patterson. Pierre makes three. I wonder if the plan is Pierre in center and Patterson in right?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM

I really hope Paterson doesnt end up in right. Could happen, but I believe the plan is still to acquire a right fielder, such as Huff or Mench.

I still don't dont think the cubs plan on Hairston playing a major role next year even if walker is gone. If they do not acquire a SS (Lugo?), I think we are looking at cedeno and neifi starting at SS/2B. otherwise the new SS and cedeno at 2b, with neifi backing up. It seems like Dusty just doesnt like Hairston, or they dont get along, or whatever.

edit: Pie is also on the 40 man as an OF, but he should start (and hopefully stay) in the minors for the year
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM

hendry reportedly is not interesting in acquiring huff. fire hendry, hire epstein or depo. fire dusty while you're at it.