Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 AM

Default What is the idea to raise with A4s preflop ?

for thoses who argue to raise with A4s preflop, what is the plan ?
to win a lot of minipots and let the hand down when you encounter some resistance in a XYA flop ? we can't play hard the ace with such a bad kicker.
So I see the idea to play our 11% of flush draw + bet unraised pot + 2% 2 pairs. Is there a lack in my point of view ?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: First post at 5/10 - nut flush draw on paired board

i would consider calling (you are getting nice odds) IF a king or maybe queen high flush was possible. as the board is, the highest flush the villian could have is 9 high, and playing it that way with that weak draw is unlikely. clearly there is a chance he isnt getting away from his king, but if you add to that the possibility that he could have a king or queen high flush as well, it might be enough for a call.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: What is the idea to raise with A4s preflop ?

[ QUOTE ]
for thoses who argue to raise with A4s preflop, what is the plan ?
to win a lot of minipots and let the hand down when you encounter some resistance in a XYA flop ? we can't play hard the ace with such a bad kicker.
So I see the idea to play our 11% of flush draw + bet unraised pot + 2% 2 pairs. Is there a lack in my point of view ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, your opponents don't know that you have a bad kicker, so it doesn't matter a lot of the time.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM

A little read here would be great. I can't decide.

He opened limped the CO that is usually the pretty looking cards of 97s 98s 78s 67s 68s K9s K8s K7s. You say he is tight passive but what are his exact stats? A little read of if he's a basic player or good player would go a long way here. Only hands you fear are KQ KT J9s, seems likely KQ should be discounted a lot given the open limp. But all the hands you beat have to be somewhat discounted because they all played hpyer-aggro and you say he is passive.

I think i would call.

preflop and flop are bad.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:05 PM

He's like 22/5/.75 or something like that but only over 100 hands so I didn't really rely on that TOO much. He kinda sucked in general but mostly by not protecting his hand and not doing even basic hand reading, etc. I mean in this hand you can see that he flat calls open trips weak kicker on a flush draw board and then check/raises all-in when the flush hits. So obviously he's not that great. But I didn't have that detailed of a read before this hand. I agree that preflop and flop were not good.