Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Party strategy vs. UB strategy

As a few of you've recommended, I've studied the FAQ and the various strategy posts and have learned a lot...

My first week of playing the 20s at both Party and UB have gone well....however, I notice I prefer a deeper stack to start with...800 at Party vs. 1500 at UB...I do better at UB...(this was the case when I played SNGs previously, as well).

I know the games are softer at Party, you can make more $/HR. blah blah blah...but I'm just better at deeper stack SNGs. Seems at Party, you lose one hand in the first few levels and you're scrambling. Plus, I don't like playing more than 3-4 tables at once.

So...after reading Strasser and Aleo and everyone else....what adjustments - if any - do you feel is appropriate for deep stack SNGs like those on UB?

More limping with specualtive hands preflop in the early levels? What else?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Party strategy vs. UB strategy

You just have more room to make moves in general.

You can bluff the flop and the turn without being all-in.

You can chase, say, an inside straight draw under certain circumstances because of higher implied odds.

Back when I played at Pokerroom, I'd LAG it up early, tighten down in the middle, then pushbot near the end. Seemed to work well.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Playing LAG early isn't a good idea. With blinds at 5/10 or 10/20, you're not going to be winning any substantial pots. You'll just be slowly burning chips away.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing LAG early isn't a good idea. With blinds at 5/10 or 10/20, you're not going to be winning any substantial pots. You'll just be slowly burning chips away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you somehow accumulate chips because you know what you are doing. Just a thought.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When most of your opponents are willing to go to the felt with top pair (even though the blinds are only 10/20), you can take down huge early pots.