Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot reason with an unreasonable person. It can't be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have two terrible habits that prevent us from engaging in intelligent conversation:

1. Oversimplifying complicated explanations. I'm not sure if you do this because you don't fully understand the point being made or if it is because you don't take the time to truly think about it before responding. Regardless, your simplifications result in a loss of accuracy, and that changes the course of the discussion.

2. Jumping to conclusions. You make assumptions about what a person is going to say before they say it. Most of the time, these assumptions are incorrect due to point #1. Again, I'm not sure if you don't really understand what is being discussed or if you just do this because you are trying to be irritating. Either way, if makes intelligent conversation impossible.

This is what I meant about being unable to reason with an unreasonable person.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot reason with an unreasonable person. It can't be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have two terrible habits that prevent us from engaging in intelligent conversation:

1. Oversimplifying complicated explanations. I'm not sure if you do this because you don't fully understand the point being made or if it is because you don't take the time to truly think about it before responding. Regardless, your simplifications result in a loss of accuracy, and that changes the course of the discussion.

2. Jumping to conclusions. You make assumptions about what a person is going to say before they say it. Most of the time, these assumptions are incorrect due to point #1. Again, I'm not sure if you don't really understand what is being discussed or if you just do this because you are trying to be irritating. Either way, if makes intelligent conversation impossible.

This is what I meant about being unable to reason with an unreasonable person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let the reader judge who is being unreasonable in this thread.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let the reader judge who is being unreasonable in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Kiddo and taxman:

I just notice your posts are taking on a somewhat personification of chez’s soon to be formalized argument.

This statement:

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have two terrible habits that prevent us from engaging in intelligent conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

assumes one of the following:

One is intelligent.
Both are intelligent.
Neither is intelligent.

Choose at least one of the above.

I am just joking guys. No opinion of eithers’ intelligence is intended.

Now, back to the show this is it.... *

* from an old cartoon.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"we are all guilty of sins, those who believe can get redemption and those who don't believe have no chance of redemption and will be punished"

[/ QUOTE ]

standard for human society. If you sin against your brother and do not acknowledge this to him, you will not be forgiven. If you sin against your government and plead guilty, you will serve a lesser punishment. If you sin against God and still deny Him, you will be damned.

so, we're all [censored] basically