Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 AM

Default 10/20 v 5/10 (complete-whine)

Fixed your subject.

Seriously though, I have very little to add - the other posters here are pretty much right. I experienced the exact same thing as a bunch of 5/10 players moving up. The LAGs ate me alive. First I played weak and got pushed off hands. Then I became a calling station fish and paid them off every time. Then I tried to out-LAG them After the carnage was over, I went back to 5/10 to lick my wounds. I moved up again, this time with much better results (over not many hands). In any case, I feel better about this game now. It's important to maintain emotional control in the face of idiot plays and horrible suckouts that seem to cost a LOT of money. Just keep playing good poker and the money will come your way eventually.

Also, game selection is key - there are LOTS of multi-tabling TAGs infesting the tables at all times of the day - HUSH, I'm looking at you. . .
Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 10/20 v 5/10 (semi-whine)

5/10 = kiddie pool

Plenty of loose passives that do what they are told, act how they should. Dont get out of line.

10/20 is different though

Loose players have some skills. You average loose passive will bluff, most of them know when you are weak. They will catch onto what you are doing and adjust without you giving them any respect. So often you induce bluffs with A high and after a while they start showing you pairs everytime.

The agros will make you frustrated when they run hot, hitting river cards. You will see turn semibluff 3bets that hit on the river.

You will spew a lot of chips from tilt.

I broke even over almost 20k hands after coming back from higher limits. Sure I was running bad but most of it was from bad play and tilt.

I got my game back recently, but even today I was a bit tired played for an hour and bam before I knew it -$1k.

A few errors, a bit of bad luck, then some tilt and you will spew chips pretty quick. Its a tough game.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: 10/20 v 5/10 (semi-whine)

jeez, sounds great, can't wait. i guess at the 10/20 level some of the LAGs are actually profitable players because they are playing you more than the cards, the way a higher stakes NL cash game player would play. every time he enters the pot it's +EV for him because he can read your cards. i don't think i'm looking forward to this. full ring must not be as hard on your psyche once you reach 10/20 and above. but i'm not there yet so i have no idea.