Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Folding on the end

Beermoney was watching as this hand unfolded and wanted me to post it.. So here it is...

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___folds

Total pot: (10.30 BB)
Old 07-28-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Folding on the end

I'm not expert at Stud Hi obviously, but isn't this an easy fold?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Well, I have a hard time imagining that Jacks-up are winning when he raises. I would guess that against a typical opponent you're beaten more than the necessary 90% of the time or whatever to make folding correct.

I would have checked on the end. Jacks-up is a pretty dubious hand to be betting into two players on the end with. For the same $20 that you bet on the end, you could have checked and called and had a shot at a decent-sized pot. There are times to bet and fold to a raise. I don't think this was one of them.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 AM

Thanks frappe.

I was interested in the hand because I had just read this article written by "The Dude": Dude in the 2+2 magazine. It is in referrence to Hold 'Em, but is still applicable. I personally don't lack the confidence to make such plays, and therefore play it sort of like andy recommends.

Also, Beer$$'s a Carpal Tunnel.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:04 AM

This is not fold that I can not make as often as I wish I could. I also think Andy brings up a good point in saying this is a good spot of a check/call on 7th. I don't think you are getting called by a worse hand here very often so the value on your bet is pretty thin.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM

That was a great article Beer, thanks for bringing it to our attention
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I personally don't have the confidence to make such plays, and therefore play it sort of like andy recommends.

Also, Beer$$'s a Carpal Tunnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed my post.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 PM

That is a great article. Also, The_Dude is a hilarious guy. I hung out with him a little in Vegas earlier this summer.

Back to the hand: I agree with Andy.I don't think the appropriate river line is bet/fold in this hand. I would definitely check and call.

However, I do not think this is an easy fold. One would think he would raise with split kings up front, but some players limp in there (and even good players limp occasionally for deception). And clearly he didn't come in with diamonds.

Keep in mind his cards are VERY dead...a straight is almost certainly out of the question with the dead jacks. The queens, tens, and sixes are mostly dead. My guess is he hit miracle trips on the river.