Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Another Friedman bomb

Friedman wrong about muslims again

Friedman says:

[ QUOTE ]
"To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden."

[/ QUOTE ]

The linked response from Juan Cole dismantles this claim.

Friedman solution avoids the main causes of the Islamist problems -- to wit colonization of the lands for a 100 years, biased support of Israel's oppression of a large muslim community, support of the fascists govts of Saud and Egypt, and now the invasion of Iraq and the atrocities that continue there by the occupying armies.

Caution to those who have absorbed too much MEMRI propaganda, you may have to consider changing your minds.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Another Friedman bomb

If I saw pictures of Muslims hunting down terrorists; if I saw members of terrorists being dragged into the town square and beaten to death by Muslim's outraged by thier actions, then I would propose an immediate re-orientation of American foriegn policy.

However, passively condemning something is as good as doing it. Islamic terrorism would not exist if people in the Muslim world each went out of thier way to stop it. Osama Bin Laden could not operate if 90% of Muslims were actively attempting to shut it down his organization.

Less words and more action would go a long way.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:52 PM

Post Deleted--

oh man I almost went off the deep end there. In short I am less concerned with understanding why the terrorist are upset right now (there is a time for that) and instead more concerned with well....killing them and securing America's self interest.

come on, you know you want me on that wall.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:12 PM

"If I saw pictures of Muslims hunting down terrorists; if I saw members of terrorists being dragged into the town square and beaten to death by Muslim's outraged by thier actions, then I would propose an immediate re-orientation of American foriegn policy.

However, passively condemning something is as good as doing it. Islamic terrorism would not exist if people in the Muslim world each went out of thier way to stop it. Osama Bin Laden could not operate if 90% of Muslims were actively attempting to shut it down his organization."
Bingo!!!!

Friedman is correct in that no ***MAJOR*** muslim cleric has renounced terrorism. The fact is the Wahabist, thanks to Saudi money, control the Sunni muslim world. The Wahabi religious leaders approve of the use of terror. They preach violence and they practice what they preach. Many years ago when Saudi Arabia was just a collection of independent tribes and a miltary alliance was struck between the Sauds and the Wahabis. As part of the alliance the Wahabis were promised complete control over religion. The leader of the Wahabis was alarmed at the tendency of muslims to resort to polytheism and he wanted to stamp out this practice. Their alliance conquered all the other tribes and modern Saudi Arabia was born. The decendents of the Wahabi tribe still control Islam and they have become even more violent.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Tom Friedman is an incredibly intelligent man, but he is also a pathological liar.

His bias towards Israel clouds his judgement.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

come on, you know you want me on that wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get out of your armchair and go over there.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:14 PM

I didn't read your link but I would note that the more moderate a Muslim cleric would both be less likely to support Al Queada and be less likely to issue a fatwa against anything.

This may be a big factor that Friedman overlooks. The ones issuing fatwas aren't likely to be the ones on our side.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:05 PM

Your bias against them clouds yours...
Old 07-09-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I saw pictures of Muslims hunting down terrorists; if I saw members of terrorists being dragged into the town square and beaten to death by Muslim's outraged by thier actions, then I would propose an immediate re-orientation of American foriegn policy.

Less words and more action would go a long way.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can't be a serious post, right? While action would go a long way, this isn't and shouldn't be what you respect or even prefer. Instead of violence against terrorists, I would want to support of the US's actions, even if tacit. Hell, simply not sheltering or aiding terrorism would be a great sign of success considering guerilla warfare relies on the support of a pouplation.