Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Default KQs vs. a 3 bet preflop

I don't like the way I did this, particularly the river check felt kind of weak. But at the time my plan was raise the turn and check behind the river (and I executed that weak sauce flawlessly [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) Flame on.

Reads are that UTG is a real buddylist type, limps with any two, calls down with any piece. BB I haven't seen got too much out of line, but he tends towards the overly loose and aggressive side.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: KQs vs. a 3 bet preflop

UTG's play is strange. Many fish like to try that little aggression to check/raise crap that he did on turn/river. I But if he's as fishy as you say, bet for value.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:40 AM

I think it's rare that you'll have an opponent donkbet you here with the flush. Most likely he has a pair and picked up a flush draw on the turn, hoping to scare you out.

As for BB, if he ha a better hand than you, he sure isn't showing it.

Nothing really gets there with the 7, I bet and fold to a check-raise.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:44 AM

Really? We have 18.5 BB in this pot, I think I'd have to call the c/r
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 AM

i agree i think you would have to call a C/R....but I still think a value bet is the proper play on the river.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:48 AM

The only check-raise I would call is if I bet, BB folded, and UTG raised.

If BB check-raises after just calling 2 cold, it's with a monster. If UTG check-raises a protected pot, I don't see how we can call.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 AM

I agree, I thought we were addressing a UTG c/r, not a BB one.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:57 AM

It's probably going to be pretty close with folding or calling any check-raise from UTG. I'm going to think about some more, but I initially thought what I posted earlier. Folding to a BB check-raise is obivous though, you're right.

I think it's most important that we bet the river and worry about the check-raise later if it comes.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's most important that we bet the river and worry about the check-raise later if it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, this is what I needed to hear. Looking back on this one, the river play was just pretty bad. i was really close to betting, but the villains' play during their time at the table was really peculiar, and it kind of spooked me into checking behind on this one. I think I had been c/r'd too many times tonight on the river and just plain wimped out.

Thanks for everybody's input so far in this thread, too. I'll post results later if any are interested