Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Default (?) line vs turn ch/r while holding overpair?

Is this a good or bad board while holding queens.. not sure what I would've done if I got ch/r on the flop either. Probably call and fold to a strong lead on the turn: am I playin too weak tight overall? This is Villian's second orbit I have no idea his range for calling PFRs.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($204.25)
BB ($200)
UTG ($302.85)
Hero ($202.30)
MP1 ($271.05)
MP2 ($178.50)
MP3 ($210.05)
CO ($198)
Button ($196)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $9, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($32) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls $22.

Turn: ($76) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $120</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $231

Should I just have pushed knowing I have straight outs if I am in fact behind (unlikely he hit that straight card as QK seems the only likely hand to call a PFR that hit it and I hold half the queens). I could be against two pair which increase my outs - JT - and against a set I guess I'm not doing too poorly. The main question I guess I have is that vs an unknown player, is the default read to believe we're behind at this point?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Default (?) line vs turn ch/r while holding overpair?

if you get checkraised on the flop you should definately call

given the way the hand played out checking the turn is very good.

a few reasons:

1. keeps pot size (76) manageable to the point you can call a PSB ish bet comfortably.
2. you could convince villain their AJ/KJ/QJ is good, thereby allowing you to valuebet river if they check
3. you have outs, so you would hate to see a checkraise. with AJ i'd bet this turn, (moreso for free showdown) QQ i'd check

Also if I was to bet the turn I'd bet 40ish. (not that 35 is so different)

who was villain? (was he a reg?)
Old 03-24-2005, 07:36 PM

Yea i was really thinking about the free card but could you really call a PSB if A, Q, J, or spade fell. Do you call all-in when a blank river falls? Do you have more of a reason to bet with AA than QQ? Why?

villian was a total unknown, this was during his second orbit where I hadn't seen anything from him whatsoever. I learned some valuable info after the hand though but did not choose to stick around to exploit it since I revealed my holding as I folded, and do not play effectively against his style.

EDIT: oh yea, and how do you play the turn after getting ch/r on the flop, given the exact same hand/board/turn card, and facing a PSB on the turn. Any general guidelines? I've ended up calling 1/4-1/3 Potsize value bets after getting ch/r on the flop and was shown top set.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea i was really thinking about the free card but could you really call a PSB if A, Q, J, or spade fell. Do you call all-in when a blank river falls? Do you have more of a reason to bet with AA than QQ? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not an ace or spade. A jack is tricky too.

It's unlikely a Q wouldimprove their hand, (to beat yours) unless they had KJ, or something like A8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] etc.

Plus when there is 4 to a straight on board any big (or pot sized bet) its always weird.

but there are a bunch of scare cards.

Would I call an all in? if yo ucheck the turn and villain bets 170ish into a 75 pot? No, I would fold. unless of course you hit K or 8. then you're probably looking at a split.

in terms of betting with AA vs QQ i might check the turn there, actually if I have the trump ace it matters.

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: oh yea, and how do you play the turn after getting ch/r on the flop, given the exact same hand/board/turn card, and facing a PSB on the turn. Any general guidelines? I've ended up calling 1/4-1/3 Potsize value bets after getting ch/r on the flop and was shown top set.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is similar to another thread either yesterday or a day before... it's a little different because it's 1/2, and instead of being led into you're checkraised, but maybe this will help? QQ on J9x
Old 03-24-2005, 09:22 PM

I really like checking behind on the turn here.