Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Default KK w/ uncomfortable stack size - What\'s your plan on this flop?

Empire Happy Hour; 28 left - 10 pay.
New to table - no reads

***** Hand History for Game 2849770306 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:16446442 Level:6 Blinds (75/150) - Monday, October 10, 23:59:50 EDT 2005
Table Happy Hour $10,000 Guaranteed(484115) Table #3 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: jostrom ( $3923 )
Seat 3: mossyface ( $1588 )
Seat 4: WESTLE ( $4335 )
Seat 5: flatman23 ( $7470 )
Seat 6: ynotmein05 ( $1630 )
Seat 7: onevision200 ( $5355 )
Seat 8: justmeken200 ( $730 )
Seat 9: LeftyB2 ( $3405 )
Seat 10: Shorty35 ( $2035 )
Trny:16446442 Level:6
Blinds (75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Shorty35 [ Ks Kd ]
flatman23 folds.
ynotmein05 folds.
onevision200 folds.
justmeken200 folds.
LeftyB2 folds.
Shorty35 raises [400].
jostrom folds.
mossyface folds.
WESTLE calls [250].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, 7h, Ac ]
WESTLE checks.
Shorty35 ?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: KK w/ uncomfortable stack size - What\'s your plan on this flop?

I think you are too short-stacked to let this one go, or to do something fancy like raise and then fold to a reraise. Sometimes you are deal a hand that, given the situation, you are either going to win or go broke with. I think this is one of those situations.

I would push the flop. There is a decent chance that, if he is holding AQ, AJ, or AT, that he will fold. You could also make a smaller raise that actually looks stronger--for example, you could make a pot-sized raise, which means that you are clearly pot-committed, but also looks less like a steal.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Bet 2/3 of pot, so it looks like a continuation bet. If he re-raises, I push.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Push the flop, and raise more pf. What's with the almost mini raise here? raise it to 500-600. If he's the type who calls raises with weak ace, so be it. You're going broke on this one, I know I am.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Pushing the flop is very, very bad. So is anything else involving ending up all in on the flop, and I can't believe that people want that to happen.

I think this is an easy check*, it's not very close, and what you do afterwards is play poker.

*But on a flop like that, I also check AK a lot.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the flop, and raise more pf. What's with the almost mini raise here? raise it to 500-600. If he's the type who calls raises with weak ace, so be it. You're going broke on this one, I know I am.

[/ QUOTE ] Personally, I don't have a problem with the 2.5BB raise. He is in the CO, everybody has folded to him. You don't just want to steal the blinds with KK.

He got one caller, which is about what you want with KK. Bad luck for an Ace to hit the flop, but given that the caller was in the BB, he can still probably take this hand down with a solid bet on the flop.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 AM

I don't like pushing the flop at all either, because I'm assuming you'll generally get called if he's got an ace, and he'll fold otherwise.

But given the situation pre-flop, couldn't he have called with a very wide range of hands...the majority of which you're ahead of right now?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing the flop is very, very bad. So is anything else involving ending up all in on the flop, and I can't believe that people want that to happen.

I think this is an easy check*, it's not very close, and what you do afterwards is play poker.

*But on a flop like that, I also check AK a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also thought about checking the flop, but I think the problem with that is that you are going to lose often to an Ace-weak kicker in the BB. I think that is the problem with this hand--how do you win if the BB has something like AT or A9? Or do you just give this hand up (which seems weak to me).

Checking this flop may give the BB the idea that he has this hand won, which means that he would be more likely to call your bet on the turn than on the flop.

Of course, I've never won $25000 in a tournament before. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the situation pre-flop, couldn't he have called with a very wide range of hands...the majority of which you're ahead of right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are ahead now, you are likely to be ahead at the end. In other words, if you are ahead now, you shouldn't worry too much about getting him to fold.

I don't see the BB calling with Ace-weak kicker, but I could be wrong. But that's why I would push or bet strongly.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also thought about checking the flop, but I think the problem with that is that you are going to lose often to an Ace-weak kicker in the BB. I think that is the problem with this hand--how do you win if the BB has something like AT or A9? Or do you just give this hand up (which seems weak to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability for you to win this hand when the BB has an ace in his hand is exactly 8.8%.