Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
Would you support a lawsuit against Louisville Slugger from someone that got beat up with a baseball bat? How about a suit against GM when a man runs over his cheating wife and her lover with his hummer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would support a right to sue and let the free market struggle in the court decide if the suit has any merit.

However, note that the pro-gun cabal on this forum has chosen to not say anything on this particular sub-thread.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you support a lawsuit against Louisville Slugger from someone that got beat up with a baseball bat? How about a suit against GM when a man runs over his cheating wife and her lover with his hummer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would support a right to sue and let the free market struggle in the court decide if the suit has any merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Now, do you personally think that such a suit actually *could* have any merit?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 AM

What I think about the merits of a hypothetical suit is irrelevant. In any case it would depend on the facts presented.

Why is it important to you whether such a suit *could* have any merit?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I think about the merits of a hypothetical suit is irrelevant. In any case it would depend on the facts presented.

Why is it important to you whether such a suit *could* have any merit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not, I'm just curious about your personal opinion.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you support the right of the defendant to collect damages and costs if the suit was found to be frivolous?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then fly on an airline which doesn't allow passengers to bring weapons on board. Why do you want to force your personal opinion onto everyone else?

Which one do you think has a better chance of being hijacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one do you think would have the better chance of crashing? Ya see, not all hijackers want to send the plane into a building. Some just want to blow it up.*cough*richard reed*cough*
Can I bring a shoe bomb onto a place as well?

Hey, this restaurant doesn't want to serve black people. If you don't like that rule go eat somewhere else. Don't force your opinions on me.

I don't think guns should be banned, but I also don't agree with your reasoning or how extreme you're going.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Holy Crap, Richard Reed! Can you believe they let a guy who looked like Osama Bin Laden on drugs onto a plane after Sept 11? He was even wearing Middle Eastern pyjamas and I believe the towel on his head. The only reason he was let on was out of political correctness and stupid French security.

Incidentally, I have passed through 2 International Airport security screenings in one day with 10 rounds of .40 S&W hollowpoints in my carry on bag, totally undetected. Next time I will bring a dismantled Glock as well.

And feel free to check my shoes. I usually carry C4 on my belt anyway.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which one do you think would have the better chance of crashing? Ya see, not all hijackers want to send the plane into a building. Some just want to blow it up.*cough*richard reed*cough*
Can I bring a shoe bomb onto a place as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, it's up to the owner of the airplane. I would bet that an airline that said "shoe bombers welcome here" would not get very many customers.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, this restaurant doesn't want to serve black people. If you don't like that rule go eat somewhere else. Don't force your opinions on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:30 AM

That is a separate debate. Want to start a thread? The problem with tort in this country (if it is a problem) is a complex one. In general I would be more inclined to allow lawsuits then try to restrict them. I do not see tort as a major problem in the US -- extreme anecdotes not withstanding.

I have personal experience with civil litigation in South Africa where there are penalties for frivolous lawsuits.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:50 PM

I like this quote:

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." —Jeff Snyder