Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Bobby Fischer Found

Someone must have already posted about this... but just in case. Bobby Fischer was found this morning...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5447613/
Old 07-16-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Bobby Fischer Found

Now we can all lie about our chess ratings... just like our SAT scores and bench press maxs.

I for one am rated 2300 and beat my first master in a tournament when I was 17.

Oh.. I bench 275... only 6 sets of 15 reps.. I haven't maxed yet.

My SAT score was well above 1590
Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM

"It was not immediately clear if Fischer would be extradited to the United States, where he is wanted for playing a 1992 chess match in the former Yugoslavia in violation of international sanctions."

Fischer is a lunatic. But he's wanted for playing a chess match? This sounds like something from an early Woody Allen movie. He is also suspected of impersonating a paperweight or dancing with a mailman?
Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM

I'm glad we finally found this rebel. I hope that it's my portion of our tax dollars that bring him to justice.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:51 PM

I also found it to be odd to be wanted for playing a chess match. With his praise of the 9/11 attacks and his statements saying that America should be wiped out, he didn't pick a very good time to be caught.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:06 PM

My penis is currently 14 1/8", I can run the 40 in 3.5 secs and my craps measure some 2m long and 17 MT. With that being said I finally feel secure. Sure terrorists have threatened us again and plan on killing some politicians (which to me is no big deal since they are a dime a dozen) but we have finally nabbed BOBBY FISCHER!! It is a great time to be an American indeed!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure terrorists have threatened us again and plan on killing some politicians (which to me is no big deal since they are a dime a dozen) but we have finally nabbed BOBBY FISCHER!! It is a great time to be an American indeed!

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest problem here is that "we" have managed to elevate the status of the "hate crime" well above that of the mundane, everyday murder or robbery or rape or whatever.

I watch people get so swept away in lynch mob mentality the moment anyone says anything to disparage a certain race, it's almost like a collective hypnosis.

Fine. He's anti-Semitic. He's anti-American. Lately these two seem to be the same thing. This is a CRIME now?

I understand that he's being extradited for something totally different.

Or is he?

I say we kill him.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM

The only reason that you or I or the common Joe heard of this was because of MSNBC/threads here. It didn't bother me one bit that he was making all of these remarks because I don't get any radio stations from the Phillipines or where ever he was stating them. He is being extradicted back to the country for some unheard of UN law because he played a chess game for money! What next? Is the government going to come after me because I beat a French poker pro for $3 in some back alley poker game over in France? I don't think they would. There has got to be something more to this than the story tells, don't you all think?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:13 PM

They weren't playing for $3 though. Nor were they playing in France. It was a high-profile event for a lot of money, conducted (quite intentionally) in a country that was subject to severe sanctions.

If the government says not to do business in Qatar, and you do business in Qatar, you're going to get on a list of people who broke the law about doing business in Qatar. How else do you expect the world to operate...

I guess no one remembers what happened in Bosnia? Considering the ethnic cleansing that the government of Yugoslavia was spending its money on, it's not surprising people made laws designed to keep them from getting more money.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:34 PM

Default An Article on Bobby Fischer

I posted this link once before, but it's fascinating, if depressing, reading.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/12/chun.htm