Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Why is Randomness so Hard to Prove?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems to me there are plenty of things without determined outcomes. Why do we need QM to disprove determinism?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The original poster claimed that QM could be used to disprove determinism.

[/ QUOTE ]
QM is not inconsistent with determinism and could never be used to disprove determinism. To see why this is true, imagine a deterministic simulation of a QM universe
[unless you make non-determinism an assumption of QM but its not a neccesary assumption]
chez

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s fine. If QM is not inconsistent with determinism, I do not need to do anything to show that QM does not disprove determinism, which is all I was trying to do.

I was instead making the point that the details of a particular model of some facet of the universe that is currently in vogue cannot be used to disprove determinism; which seems to achieve the much the same result.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but you'll never convince the evidence junkies your way, they'll start wittering on about the probability that randomness exists [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez