Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Couple of sets.

Hello guys.
I haven't been playing much lately or very well when I do play.
I'd like some analysis on a couple of hands, to see what I can do better. On both of these hands I flopped small sets. Table is fairly normal most of the time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

I think I played this hand pretty well PF and on the flop. I 3-bet the turn because I thought maybe the A hit the button, but I didn't like the cap. I started wondering what he could cap with. I know the straight was unlikely but villain was a loose player and maybe I ran into a bigger set or two pair(which of course I beat) but I was thinking more along the lines that he had the wheel.
I wasn't sure if I should bet/raise the river. I was glad to see diamonds/clubs didn't make it although I doubted he'd cap the turn on a flush draw, but any 5 beats me. What do you guys do?

Same table two and half rounds later. I'm not doing very well at this table. (down $10) When I get pocket 33's. Its probably to early a position to limp in with such a small pocket pair isn't it but I figured there's already one limper in the pot so why not come along? (bad call?)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Looks like BB flopped a straight, I'm just hoping for a board pair. I'm getting 19/2 after BB caps plus I doubt SB is gonna fold for one SB, so I should definitely call 2 SB's back at me right?

Turn: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.
I shouldn't raise here should I? I feel like I'm behind, but I have outs. I'm not thinking of folding, but should I be?
River: (13 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Alas no board pair and I just know I have to be beat here but i'm getting 14/1 on my set nobody folds here right?

Thanks for any input guys, I know I've probably made quite a few mistakes on both hands, hopefully I can learn something out this.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Couple of sets.

hand 1:

just bet the flop. it's 5-way, you'll get calls, and a check raise will kill your action. i would also bet the river and call a raise. that's a really good card for you because villain will often be (for some reason) scared that you hit the straight on him, and he will fail to raise you with 44. is the guy really loose enough to limp 53? i think he has AJ/A4/A2 more than he has you beaten... even though the cap after the flop call/call is a bit scary.

hand 2:

i can't believe you asked if you should fold the flop. also, this hand (like hand 1) is a lot easier to play if you know something about the guy involved. typically i would raise the turn and call down if 3-bet.

but really, the main problem i see with both of these hands (not trying to be a dick, but it's truly how i feel) is that you posted them because you lost.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 AM

Thanks for your input,
1)I asked if I should fold because, I'm looking for advice and i'm obviously not as good as most of you guys.
2)I ended up winning one and losing one of these hands. Although, I don't see what the difference would be if I had lost BOTH of them? I'm looking to see where I can improve my play, I'm not posting to cry about losing with a set.
Am I only supposed to post winning hands?
3) On the second hand I also wanted to know if it was a bad call PF with 33's in that position.
4) Regarding the c/r on the flop with the first hand, I understand what your saying about just betting out. I should c/r with a hand like AJ on that board to force a K or Q out, but a c/r won't get anyone with a flush-draw out if I had AJ or 22's so I may as well get in as many bets as possible with a set while I'm most likely ahead. If i understand what your saying.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:49 AM

1. well if you had won both hands would you have asked if you should have folded? i guess that's my main point - i don't think you would have.
2. see above. don't worry about it - i took your post the wrong way, i guess. i thought it seemed like a couple bad beats in disguise. no worries.
3. it's a fine call unless the table is 20/15 behind you. so it's basically table-dependent.
4. nah i'd lead with AJ. look at the board, and figure out how strong your hand is. AJ is pretty damn strong there, people like to call (or raise with a worse J). i would begin to check the flop at J9 or so (to see what happens behind me).

again sorry about the snide [censored].
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 AM

Gotta bet the flop in #1. 5-handed and often times you'll get to 3-bet it.

In #2 I think you played it fine although I believe a case could be made for popping that turn, and calling down a 3-bet.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Couple of sets. (results)

1) I guess I took your first post a little to personal. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
2) Regarding the call with the 33's after it was 5 way action I figured my call was alright since I'd be getting implied odds if I hit my set. I just didn't know before the initial call if I'd have a lot of callers. It seemed half the time there were 5 players to a flop and other times 2 or 3. So I didn't know what to do so I just called. I should probable think alittle harder about that.
3) I didn't even notice but the hand I asked if I should fold did turn out to be the one I lost. With the 3's I really thought someone had flopped the straight. Since SB c/r 3-bet and then BB capped.
4) With the 22's on the first hand villain was a loose player, so I thought maybe he had the straight.
My thinking on the river was; If I bet and he has the straight he's going to raise and I'll lose 2bets, if he bets and my hand is good I win a bet, and of course if he checks behind me and I win I lose a bet.
Although it turns out I may have made a couple more bets on the river since my hand was good. I really didn't think someone would bet this river with what he had. Am I misunderstanding some concept here that I should be aware of? I think I'm more confused about the river now that I think about it. I guess maybe I should've bet since he was a loose bad player and I was giving him to much credit?
4) Turns out my fears of straights on both these hands were wrong. (I make bad reads doh)

b]Final Pot:[/b] 15.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has 2d 2h (three of a kind, twos).
Button has 4s As (two pair, aces and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.75 BB. </font>

Results in white below:
BB has 6d 6c (three of a kind, sixes).
Hero has 3s 3h (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: BB wins 15 BB. </font>