Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Party $150 hand

About 240 left, 100 pay. I have 5700 UTG blinds 100/200. Avg stack about 4000. Villian on the button has me covered, BB has us both covered.

I limp UTG with 99 - I wouldn't always limp here but I was raising a fair amount of pots and the table was fairly aggressive. I didn't really want to get blown out of the pot. Button makes it 700 and the BB calls and I call. I have no info on my opps.

Flop is T65 no suits. BB checks, I check, button bets 400 into the 2200 chip pot, BB calls, I call. Turn is a 7, BB checks, I bet 1500, button raises to 3000, BB folds, I fold.

Help me not feel like the worst player ever. Seriously, anyone got a line here? It certainly feels that I am up against TT or AA (really feels like a set though) and that's why I mucked.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Party $150 hand

I think you put yourself in a tough position by simply calling that flop. as far as I can see, you want to reraise and fold if he comes over the top, or (yikes) fold. Also, leading the turn is also tough. The problem w/ this hand is that you are out of position =-)
Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 PM

I think I'd check-raise the flop since the BB showed a lot of weakness and there's no reason to think we are behind the button to an overpair. Turn looks pretty standard and I agree that I think he has a set. In fact, I think 77 could be a relatively likely hand. The only hand you are ahead of here is 88 who might play this way as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 PM

After BB calls on that flop, I just fold there, underbet or no, specifically because of the difficulty of playing most turns.

edit: The problem with checkraising that flop is that the pot is 3K and when you push you get to stare at the aces a lot.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After BB calls on that flop, I just fold there, underbet or no, specifically because of the difficulty of playing most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is getting over 6:1 on his call - I have a hard time putting him on anything that could stand a CR here. Make it 1200-1500 to go. That said, if you get cold-called you are on a decision and OOP. Hmmm.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM

The problem I see with check raising is he will flat call so often when I'm beat. If I make it 2200 on the flop after he makes it 400 how are my chips not going in on the turn? (I will have 2800 behind and the pot will have 6600 in it)
Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 240 left, 100 pay. I have 5700 UTG blinds 100/200. Avg stack about 4000. Villian on the button has me covered, BB has us both covered.

I limp UTG with 99 - I wouldn't always limp here but I was raising a fair amount of pots and the table was fairly aggressive. I didn't really want to get blown out of the pot. Button makes it 700 and the BB calls and I call. I have no info on my opps.

Flop is T65 no suits. BB checks, I check, button bets 400 into the 2200 chip pot, BB calls, I call. Turn is a 7, BB checks, I bet 1500, button raises to 3000, BB folds, I fold.

Help me not feel like the worst player ever. Seriously, anyone got a line here? It certainly feels that I am up against TT or AA (really feels like a set though) and that's why I mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Messy hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think given the way you played it (ultra-passively), I would check again on the turn. I don't like coming alive and betting into Villain here without any sort of strong read. Checking the turn might allow you to see a free/cheap river card or showdown.

I think we should look more at what Button's 400 bet on the flop means. Think about it from his perspective. If he has two over cards here and missed the flop, is this what he would want to bet? Would this bet ever get two PF callers to fold? Seems unlikely. Something about this bet screams monster to me, though I am not willing to fold for 400 chips obviously. My poiint is that you should proceed very cautiously after this flop.

The reason I don't like your bet on the turn is
1. You have not shown strength before and probably won't get a better hand to fold (for example, if Villain's flop bet meant uncertain strength with a hand like JTs or QTs, then I don't think your turn bet will get these hands to fold).
2. A complete bluff here either folds or makes a crazy move and pushes you out of the pot. Either way, two overs are not paying you off.
3. A made hand takes your 1500 and possibly more.

So I'm not sure what the turn bet accomplishes other than finding out where you're at. But that is information I am willing to surrender if the price for it is too high.

Lastly, I much prefer another check on the turn here because if Villain does have a monster hand like a set of Tens, he might make another small value bet (albeit, incorrectly) and allow you to draw to your straight for cheap. If you hit, you could certainly get a decent amount of chips out of him, I believe.

All these reasons (plus the fact that the BB is still active) makes me favor a check in this spot. I think the biggest reason though is that you picked up a draw that you do not want to be pushed off of.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM

New line...

Does anyone like bet out about half pot, fold to a reraise and shutdown to a call?

Jeez, I'm realizing how important position here is. It basically allows button to use a call the same way one would use a raise here. I'm tempted to just fold this damn hand pre-flop! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Tempted... but not insane.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Hero pushes of course.

I don't think you know where you are at, but villain can get here with more hands that you are ahead of than behind.

He's either trapping you or he has a big hand. If he's trapping he's a cool customer to miniraise such a dangerous turn, and to encourage 2 players to go to the turn with such a small flop bet.

I think your hand is good enough to go to the felt with. Some information on your image and button's would be useful.

I don't like how you played the hand.

If you are going to limp 99, the most likely good case scenario for you is to play a hand with 1 over OOP. If you are not willing to play this situation like you have the best hand then you should not limp 99 UTG.

Button's probe bet means nothing, just as BB call. It's unlikely that button has a T in his hand so you are up against a big pair or overs.
AK - 16 ways
AQ - 16 ways
AJ - 16 ways
AT - 16 ways (less likely)
TT-AA 27 ways

You need to test button for his stack here with what is likely the best hand. I'd raise to T2400.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:21 PM

I would lead the flop with a 1100 bet. If I get called, I would fire again with another 1100 bet.