Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Fold or go for a squeeze?

I think you can call off 10% of your stack here for a set. If you had 16000 I would probably jam.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:58 AM

duh. I just had it fixed in my mind that he was in the BB. Still the general principal applies in that there are many different ways you can play an overpair in this type of hand and you're just going to have to play some poker and do your best at interpreting the action on the flop within the context of the flop texture. The raiser is less likely to bet into two pre-flop callers with overcards than if there was just one opponent. Of course, being on the button if checked to a bet could just be interpreted as a steal and could face a re-steal attempt. This is one of those problems with the tournament structure in that you can easily commit yourself to this hand with an overpair so you have to play very carefully. Just playing for set value isn't a horrible option (in which case you'd just check and hope to make a set or see a free showdown).
Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 PM

This is only a 3X BB raise, I call here all day.

Being on the button makes this a great hand. You will have all the information from the other players (maybe you will see a call from the BB) and be able to make an informed decision.

I am not 100% but I believe Harrington and others suggest NOT to raise here. The justification was that you might have the player move all-in UTG at which point you will be unhappy. Also you might have flopped a set and got some extra chips out of the other players. Being that a set of 9's is very strong where a pair is hard to play given the setting.

There are tons of possiblites after the flop, but that is how I would play it PF. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 PM

PF decision doesn't intrigue me much here. I think this hand can get real juicy and questionable on the flop.