Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: KK w/ uncomfortable stack size - What\'s your plan on this flop?

I think you missed my point (or maybe I missed yours). I'm not trying to get him to fold because I'm ahead. I'm trying to get him to put some money in with a worse hand than mine. Since my pre-flop bet looked something like a blind stealing attempt, I want my bet now to look like a continuation bet, so he thinks I may not have anything. I'm kind of operating under the assumption that if he's got an A I'm probably screwed either way, but that its much less than 50/50 that that's the case - very possible a bad set of assumptions
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM

What would be wrong with my pseudo-continuation bet idea? Are you putting him on a much smaller range than I am? Without a read, I'm thinking that since my pre-flop bet looked like a blind steal, he could have a range something like 55+, 98s, Ax, Kxs, K7+ and any two cards T+. Is that too wide a range?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also thought about checking the flop, but I think the problem with that is that you are going to lose often to an Ace-weak kicker in the BB. I think that is the problem with this hand--how do you win if the BB has something like AT or A9? Or do you just give this hand up (which seems weak to me).

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability for you to win this hand when the BB has an ace in his hand is exactly 8.8%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So if you called from the BB with AT, you are calling an all-in raise for half your stack? Is that because the original raiser was in the CO? What if the original raiser was UTG? Would you still call an all-in for half your stack?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 AM

I like a check here too. If he bets small on the turn you can jam and get him to lay down some weaker aces or call if he is a habitual bluffer or you think he could value bet some other hand.

My original line was to bet 550 on the flop and fold to a jam but I think the check is way better.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also thought about checking the flop, but I think the problem with that is that you are going to lose often to an Ace-weak kicker in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're going to lose often to ace-weak in the BB if you bet. Except instead of losing a small pot, you get stacked. Nothing good can come of a bet here on the flop. If he c/rs you've wasted a bunch of stack, as you can't call given how likely it is you're down to 2 outs.

Maybe a check could induce a bluff from him on the turn or river, and picking off a small bluff (he would probably bet an underpair after the flop check) seems to be your only hope of winning any more than is currently in the pot.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? So if you called from the BB with AT

[/ QUOTE ]

I would (almost) never call from the BB with an ace here. However, someone who did will never, ever fold it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM

This is a classic way ahead/way behind situation. I check this flop all day. Give him a chance to bluff at you.

If he has an ace, that's life; the goal here is to win more than just a small pot when he doesn't have an ace.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Same question for you as I'm hoping adanthar will answer - what's wrong with betting 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot. Its going to look just like a steal attempt followed by a continuation bet. Wouldn't he be likely to call with many hands that your KK is ahead of?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM

On an A74 flop, which hands would that be?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:50 AM

88-TT? Hehe.